ShowMeTheEquality Marketing Manager, Marketing

3m is what you make it. The culture rewards people who carve their own path, so don't expect anyone else to manage your career for you. As a full-time working mother, I think their maternity leave policies (6 weeks, nothing official for dads) are far below average. Flex time is also not standard policy, and must be negotiated individually with your manager (and is often not approved). Most executives are male with stay at home wives, and just don't get the realities of two working parents. For a company that insists on hiring only those with Master's degrees and PhD's in many disciplines (meaning older recruits in prime child bearing years), their policies toward families are woefully antiquated.

No paternity leave here. When you go on unpaid maternity leave, you do not accrue for years of service. So after two kids, my official start date with the company is 4 months later than when I actually began working here.

My lab is still male dominated, but the culture is very supportive of women. I see lots of women in leadership positions who are greatly respected by everybody.

give me full time job - I am currently a contractor
anon1606 Sr Software Engineer

Most deparatments are very flexible. 3M Corporate has a flex policy to help people with their personal lives. I have rarely had to work overimte.

Upper management does not less to the people doing the work or their direct managers. 3M Corporate doesn't allow the 3M HIS division to function autonomously.
superlady

N/A

Great work environment but poor maternity leave and not enough women leaders.
Shortcake

This is a very supportive company.

They really need to have a longer paid time off.
Anonymous - 5961 Business Manager, Marketing

We all read about challenges that women and minorities face in the workplace - all of these challenges are very much present at 3M. Based on informal benchmarking with contacts at other companies, 3M is perhaps even worse than average in this regard.

Madam Juniper Senior IT manager, Information Technology

I have worked at 3M for 15 years and am very proud to be a 3Mer and have no plans of leaving the company. A flexible work arrangements policy was very recently updated to make it more formal and accessible to salaried employees. I have had support to work flexible hours and often remotely for many years, but that was not possible for many as it was left in the hands of one's manager. Now, it is encouraged for employees and managers to arrange flexibility per what the employee would like to do balanced with what is also in best interest of the department. I still see a large number of white men at the top of the company. Even though some women are making their way into the VP ranks, it is usually in an administrative/corporate function. There is a lot of improvement in equality left to do, but I do think the company is committed to this and will get there someday. The unpaid 12 weeks maternity leave is on top of the 6 paid, so 18 weeks total.

Lady JayR

I feel like I've been treated very fairly and have had a good support system. I've had 2 children and have not felt like either of my leaves negatively impacted my career. Overall it is a great company to work for, but like all companies the benefits or perks seem to be shrinking to make us just comparable to the other companies out there, though this impacts all employees. Upper management still seems to be predominately male, though at my job grade I don't have a lot of interaction with them.

Lady Leader

I've worked at 3M for 20 years now and have always felt like I have been treated fairly. My performance has been measured by my results and my promotions and pay are reflective of my leadership capability and the results I deliver. 3M publishes pay scales by job grades which helps to ensure equality in pay. I feel that my job grade is reflective of the scope and complexity of my position and my salary level is very competitive with the external market. I know this because I regularly interview external candidates and have gained knowledge of salary ranges outside of 3M through this process. 3M does have several programs aimed at supporting the development of female leaders at both management and executive levels and in general I feel that 3M has a nice balance of male and female leaders in our organization. As 3M has started to globalize it's workforce, I've found achieving work/life balance to be quite challenging. But the flexible work policies make it doable.

Working in a global company can make work/life balance difficult at times

Women Review 3M for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of 3M by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

3.4 stars, based on 12 reviews Company Website ShowMeTheEquality 123456 anon1606 superlady Shortcake Madam Juniper Lady JayR Lady Leader