Agilent Technologies

itpro302

high level of outsourcing makes it difficult to design solutions and accomplish goals

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Madam Napoleon

Account Manager

Sales

There are not many women in the field sales department so district/regional meetings are more male-centric. At the last meeting, I was approached at the bar we were all at in our hotel by another account manager who got very possessive and aggressive. One of my male colleagues had to come intervene and we were able to go to a different area without any drama. There were plenty of managers present for all of this, all of whom were male, and they found it humorous if anything. The next night a woman in upper management was there and miraculously everyone started being very respectful towards the women in our group. I like what I do but I find that I am always on alert and have to watch what I say very carefully because anything too "girly" would fuel the fire. Territories are reassigned very frequently based on performance so while I could take maternity leave I am quite certain I would return to have lost all of my prime sales territory.

If you are starting in a management position I think it would be better because there are more women in upper management than there are at the regional level.