Assignment unit

Its a good company and you can move up or around but not so stable long term job wise. Laid off after 18 years.

Maybe. but watch for lay offs I was after 18 years

Financial Center operations manager

The typical big corporation company. They say that there is a balance between life and work but that is easier said than done. You are made to feel guilty whether you are a woman or a man if you have to take time off that is absolutely necessary. Some men have been promoted within the company by skipping steps where I have seen and been a part of promotions where extensive interviews and testing are required. I have never witnessed a woman being promoted by skipping steps. I have witnessed perfectly trained and more than capable woman passed by for promotions and people outside the company have been hired who have no banking experience. Yes it is nice to have holidays off with your kids but really it's not worth all the headaches and how unappreciated you feel at the end of everyday.

U need to b able to function under high stress

Maybe. Depends on employee dire need

Technology & Operations

Even though some of the top Tech Execs are women, Technology & Operations is predominantly a male organization. Middle managers are judged on their ability to deliver on time and on budget, not on their commitment to diversity. Therefore, they rely on the "old boys" network to get a "body" into an open position as fast as possible. My team has over 25 Senior VP's, and only 1 of those is female. Women who advance to Exec levels appear to have made the choice to dedicate themselves to a career (I heard someone refer to an Exec by saying, "Bank of America is her religion") as opposed to women lower in the Org who appear to attempt a balance of work and family.

Maybe. BAC seems to be committed to diversity & inclusion on paper, but it is not tied to Middle Manager's performance. Therefore, your career happiness is very tied to who your manager is and your relationship with them.

Face time and immense politics - typical of a Bank but unusually so.

Maybe. Yes - Because its a great name on your resume

IT Manager

There are corporate policies and initiatives focused on developing women and supporting balanced life for employees.

Sr Project Manager

Global Tech & Ops

I've worked here for 10+ years. There are a lot of successful women who work in my area - including myself to a certain extent. However, there is a ceiling...and only those women with strong male sponsors break thru the ceiling. Cute, young, sassy women have no problem establishing that strong sponsorship but one little misstep seems to be detrimental. Re-orgs are fast and furious - you can be on top of your game one week and the next week you'll be reporting to a peer. I call it the 6-month humiliation factor....about every 6-months your situation will change and you have to suffer the humiliation of some sort of setback. Lay-offs are fast and furious too. A favorite co-worker will be working on your project one day and the next day they just disappear. No one talks about people disappearing. There is a constant fear of being laid off - and it causes this dynamic, I call it the 'looky-looky' dynamic. This is where everyone is walking all over everyone else to prove their worth. "looky-looky what I did - I'm better than Joey and Janey". Introverts have a hard time here. You have to play into the "looky-looky" or you just aren't noticed. Hard work, good work don't mean much - it's all about the politics. So why do I stay? Benefits and flexibility. But that is changing. Bank is eliminating the flexible My Work program and calling everyone back into the office (but there is no real estate or parking available...but that doesn't seem to matter). Bank is also following every other large corporation in scaling back on benefits. 4 weeks of vacation plus 10 bank holidays and 10 'sick' days is still wonderful....I look for it to go away soon too!

Maybe. if you can deal with the politics, go for it

Teller

Banking

There are more women then men working for Bank of America

Management is male dominated. You'll find women at the Exec level, but overall, women make up a majority of the support roles. Maternity leave is generous. However, there is an underlying current of fear when considering time off. They are doing away with being able to work from home. Calling everyone back to the cube farms without monetary compensation. Raises have not occurred in years.

1) Consistent and ongoing re-organizations cause a great deal of stress. You do not know from day to day if you will have a job, if your career plans will be thwarted, or if you will be re-assigned to a position that is not a fit. 2) While BAC executive leadership readily and continually re-org and re-assign employees to new roles, it has become very difficult to seek out and secure new opportunities via your own efforts. Many of the candidates that have filled positions were preselected even before the role was posted. Job postings have become nothing more than legal CYA. 3) I have worked for BAC for 17 years. When I first started we were referred to as "colleagues". That changed to "associates" around 2005. It changed to "employees" in 2012. This very deliberate and calculated change speaks volumes about the current culture and is experienced in how we "employees" are regarded/treated.