California State University, Sacramento

www.csus.edu/

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at California State University, Sacramento to join us.

Menards Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

A lot of time is spent on your feet. While the other employees tend to respect the women in the workplace, the customers will assume that a woman might not know as much or be capable of heavier lifting work.

Once a schedule is set, it cannot be changed until the week of scheduled time. A substitute must be found if one needs time off unexpectedly or if a request for time off is denied by the scheduler

City of Santa Monica, California Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I think the culture can vary a lot depending on your supervisor. My supervisor is a proponent of professional development so I've been able to attend some excellent trainings and schools, as well as work on projects that have really challenged me and helped me to grow. With regard to family, my supervisors have all been very supportive of work life balance, so I've had a very positive experience since my first child was born. However, in some areas there is not as much flexibility due to city policy - for example, no paid maternity leave and no official policy for working remotely. With unpaid maternity leave, you end up having to pay cobras for your health insurance and your anniversary date with the City changes she which affects future retirement and pension benefits. Also, childcare options within the city are limited. The city only has one daycare partner that gives city employees priority on the waiting list (no discount though - and it's expensive, upwards of $2000/month for an infant). The school is great, but I was on the waiting list at 12 weeks pregnant for my first child and we did not get off of the waitlist until my child was 7 months old, leaving a 3 month gap between the end of my maternity leave and our daycare start date. Finally, without an official city policy re: working remotely your opportunites there can vary across departments and leadership's willingness to ok that option. In sum, there is definitely room for improvement and some changes I'd like to see, but great overall work culture and experience.

Penguin Random House Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
2.7

This is a good company operating under very tight financial constraints. They offer good benefits and salaries for low to mid-level staff are on the lower end of the financial scale. Most depts offer an enjoyable work environment.

My answer relates to my unique experience. This is not the norm for the company.

HR needs to address a very problematic senior exec whose many personal issues cause her to create a fear-based environment and behave in an abusive manner. As a result of her lashing out, loyal and talented staff are losing their jobs. The exec has no integrity and spins tales that HR seems to believe. The exec is very insecure, paranoid, immature, and unprofessional and only due to the talented and loyal staff is the dept running smoothly. The closest senior exec, the deputy, is spending a great deal of time diffusing the numerous issues this female senior exec is creating. He's actually running the dept and should have been given the senior role to begin with. She is a horrible representation of the good company this is. I was unable to take lunch, unable to enjoy summer Fridays, unable to enjoy normal hours, unable to take advantage of great benefits, etc. This was a very unique bullying and abusive situation that I was dealing with. Having worked for the company years ago for terrific execs, I am well-versed in how things should operate.

Metropolitan Airports Commission Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

It's very hit or miss; some departments have great leadership and would be perfect for a working mom. However, some departments provide zero flexibility and are led by "old white guys" who don't see the need to make accommodations.

6 weeks paid paternal leave - the rest is STD and banked PTO

Carlyle Group Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

The company is nearly 75% male, but the women who work here are very smart and driven. It can be competitive and fast-paced. A lot of prior knowledge about the industry is expected.

Not for Hiring

Teguar Computers Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Northwest Research Associates Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

This is a small company, very accomodating for work/life balance

Censeo Consulting Group Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Censeo is small but growing management consulting firm. I have worked here for 5 year and have seen the effort the leadership team has put into increasing the number of women on the leadership team. At the highest levels, it is primarily male dominated, but it's a small sample size is pretty representative of the industry. However, at the middle management and junior staff level there has been a huge increase in the number of women and that has helped create a more well balanced culture and more women friendly policies / events (there were 5 of 30 when I started, now more than 50% are women). Censeo has not had very much success in recruiting women at the top levels and is working to grow female leaders internally, but that takes a little more time.

Builders of Hope Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

December 2014

BOH is an organization that seeks to reintegrate folks with chronic mental illness back into the community. I thoroughly enjoyed working with all of my clients but encountered a client who physically threatened me and frequently transgressed my boundaries. When I needed support from management, I received empathy and respect from the women I worked with but found no genuine seriousness from the men. As the blatant sexism began to reek, I quit.

Beacon Roofing Supply, Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

August 2014

It was a very stressful environment to work in, with no regard for a work-life balance.