Marketing

The gender bias is pretty institutionalized and as a woman who had spent most of her career with high-powered women execs in charge, the culture was a shock. Also, women wear pantyhose in some depts.

Not for Pay, Evaluation and Reviews

While ultimately up to each manager, leadership is not supportive of telecommuting and a monthly report of telecommuting hours is submitted to the CEO, sending a message that it is not seen as an appropriate.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Maybe. gender bias is no worse than other financial services co, but that's not saying a lot. That said, there are a lot of good people at the executive and every level, that want to promote equality. I would recommend that women evaluate any opportunity there based on their own needs and gut check with the group they would be working with.

VP-Financial Consultant

Sales

The sky is the limit. Schwab is an excellent employer, just inflexibile if you are in a sales role. Another female colleague of mine was nearing retirement age. She had twice the workload as the rest of the office as her book was double. She either had to put up the numbers or find another position. She chose to retire. They hired 2 new young inexperienced (one didn't have her series 7 yet) to replace one of her. It's either put up the numbers or find another role within the service center that is conducive. I keep putting up the numbers, but worry when I get to the point that I can't.

I have worked years building my practice and made to feel like I should feel like a small business owner. I am given a month's sabbatical, which is awesome. I just wish I could use that time the way I would like especially in sales role. I would love to have one afternoon a week where I could work from home and get my kids off the bus, and would be willing to come in early. I

I took 6 weeks for my oldest, and 8 weeks (C-section) for my 2 youngest. I came back to work breastfeeding my babies. The only place for me to pump was in the stall of bathroom, as I didn't work in a service centers but at one of our branches. I was able to use FMLA and sick time, which was great and allowed more time. I would have liked to have come back and gradually worked into the 40 hours. for example, work 5 hour days the first few weeks, or 3 days and I could have come back earlier, but instead as soon I came back the benefit was lost.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Maybe. I absolutely love Schwab and would recommend to anyone. However, I have had 4 very qualified female friends that had grown with the company, been promoted worked har to received their CFPs, great reviews. They loved their job and their role. They left not for more money or opportunity, but rather the ability to control their schedule . Meaning there were times, when they would do an evening event and then come in late the next morning to drop kids off at school or leave early, but because the branches are 8-5 and with small offices. they just feel it fit their needs. My Dr. , my ob-gyn, my kids' pediatrician are all female, but none of them work full time 8-5 schedule and then evening events. Some work They work 3-4 days a week. My friends left for companies that allowed them to work outside that 8-5. They weren't wanting to work less, just not constrained. I have stayed at Schwab as I love the client relationships I have built over the years and I love the sales role. I just wish there was option for working a more flexible arrangement in a sales role like so many other companies.

We still have strides to make, but there is a sincere mindfulness around equality and inclusiveness and policies are being put in place every month to reflect this

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

I personally found that my male bosses at the firm were more family oriented than the female bosses.

Some departments are very family friendly, it just depends on your organization. Although my job can be done remotely very easily, telecommuting is not encouraged (even though my boss is in another state and maybe see him/her once a year in person).

I had 8 weeks of short term disability that covered a portion of my pay check and the rest was covered by sick time. That is the one good thing about the firm. They do allow you to accrue sick time separately from vacation time. Then I was able to take 6 weeks of paid parental leave.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Maybe. For other moms, depending on where they live, the commute can be difficult and hard to coordinate child care pick-up and drop-off times when you are required to be in the office for work.

Sr. Manager, Software Applications Engineering

IT

They have treated me fairly and much better than my former employers. I feel the opportunities are wide open to succeed.

As an IT person Schwab's policy regarding work from home is more stringent than my previous employers. I would like to see them add more flexibility in order to encourage a wider variety of talent to seek jobs at Schwab.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Modify their performance review process and increase vacation time.

I think that women are treated equally and there are a number of women in senior leadership positions.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

Maybe. Long hours and lack of work/life balance

Human Resources

We truly care not only about our clients but our employees are just as important. Schwab provides the right tools, resources and support to be successful at any stage of your career/life.

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

The culture is great! Strong work-life balance is encouraged. feedback for improvements is constantly asked for.

NA

NA

Senior Business Systems Analyst

IT

Respecting others and work/life balance are both very important parts of the culture at Schwab. Family time is honored.

Paid paternity leave is now offered and encouraged.

Regional Manager

Customer Service

It is a male dominated industry. I feel that it helps to be a strong female to thrive.