Cisco Systems

3.7

Lady Bond007

Software Engineer

Datacenter

Maybe. While the company policy definitely wants to promote and encourage women in the workplace, policies will only be as good as the people who implement them. While I must say I had been very fortunate to work for managers who were not biased towards my work or performance based on the gender, I have come across managers who are partial in hiring women though they're not vocal about it in official discussions. During private discussions, they do accidentally spill that they're not in favor of having women 'cause they feel women give higher priority to family and would not prefer to stretch beyond the 8 hrs of work/day, they might need maternity leave, time off to attend to a sick kid at home, they'd be distracted at work 'cause of house-hold responsibilities like picking up the kid between work, etc. Some managers feel they can easily thrust work upon a man at any time of the day without hesitation which they can't with a woman. Most of the IT houses foster boys-club 'cause majority of the workforce constitutes of men. Women find it hard to penetrate this group 'cause our interests don't match such as hanging out with male colleagues for a smoke between work, or for a drink late into the evening, or watching a game together, etc. This puts women in tech at a disadvantage 'cause we loose out on the informal discussion about work, technology, etc. and the bonding that happens over these sessions. It is a very tough art to master getting into such groups without risking coming across as desperate to hang out with men.

Business Analyst

Services

The company has option of working from home which comes handy with kids and running errands. You can also take calls remotely. It differs from team to team and depends on manager's attitude as well. Some managers themselves work from 7am to 7pm straight and expect you to do the same. If you land up in a good team, you'll be lucky.

Lady eilonwy002

Consultant

Consulting Services

It's very politicized working in a big company, for both men and women. As it applies to women's issues specifically, I feel strongly that many highly qualified and competent women are viewed negatively and are not given the visibility or credit that men are, even when (from my perspective) these women's results show empirically that they are out-performing men. My male coworkers speak of women I would describe as "hard-working, results-oriented, matter-of-fact" as "rigid" and "only wants her own way". Women whom I would describe as "goal-oriented", men have portrayed as cunning and manipulative. It is as if basic competencies like timeliness, attentiveness, attitude--which women must possess to even compete--are overlooked because they are not metrics that men care about. While there are many women now in senior positions here, I feel that personally despite my white collar position, it is easier for others to think of me as an executive assistant than to push me to perform more thoughtful and demanding tasks.

Lady P

Director

Good diversity at OC level and lots of women in "expected" functions such as HR and Marketing. Still not good representation in engineering and sales.

Admin

Collaboration

Working for Cisco is great! I enjoy working there. Best job I ever had.

Lady Bosswoman

I have been here for 14 years and have steadily advanced, but I know many more women who get stuck in mid-career. While the overall representation may be ok, women are very low in numbers in technical/engineering roles, esp as you go to mid and higher level management.

Business Analyst

Operations

Cisco is a great company to work for, I have been here 18 years. Diversity is huge part of our culture and that is one of the reasons I enjoy working for this company.

Lady Live Work & Play

Business Development Manager

Cisco preaches inclusion and diversity and stands by this. There are a number of women and diverse employees in leadership positions, and development for female employees and leaders is very highly encouraged. I do think that men are still paid more than women (generally speaking across all industries), but do not believe gender plays a part at Cisco when salary/bonuses/raises are determined. There is always room for more women in tech and am proud I work for a company that promotes this from within!

Lady Capital D

Collaboration Specialist

Sales

I've been a long-term employee. Of course, the old boys are still out there but at Cisco performance matters and can be a woman's advantage. Navigating around curmudgeons exists everywhere, even Cisco. Sure, I still come across the "Boys Only" meetings, but those guys seem like a dying breed. It seems more possible to rise above generalized prejudice at Cisco than most work places.

Lady Guardian

The company has a ways to go.