Instructional Specialist

Academics

You have to be ok with working for the "good ole boys club"

School Counselor

Academics

Education is a predominantly female field, with the exception of the highest leaders (superintendents, government level leaders) and as such I think the profession as a whole is treated with less respect and pay is also reflective of that. Within the environment, men and women are treated equally.

I have not yet taken maternity leave, but while I have 12 weeks that I can take and keep my position, I anticipate only being able to afford 4 weeks. Not only are we unpaid during our maternity leave, but we have to cover the cost of our insurance while we aren't working - having just added another dependent!

• Work-Life Friendly Attributes:

The state of education in general needs major reform. We need a paradigm shift from the state level as well as the federal level, to make education more student focused - less testing based, and accountability should be appropriately redistributed and balanced. Districts then could have more freedom to focus on what really matters and I believe education would flourish. Until then,I'm not sure there's much my district could do that would make me more satisfied in my work.