• Top rated company current
  • Top rated company 2016
  • Top rated company 2017

anon741 Girl

In the practice area that I work in, there are very few women in advanced roles, which makes it difficult for more junior women to network. Without good role models, I have noticed a lot of women leaving recently. Also, in any consulting role, the hours and expectations are high. Although flexibility is promoted, it is often at the expense of having to log in late at night to finish work or on the weekends.

Maybe. Depends on what you want in life. Consulting hours are very difficult and if having a family and being present often is important than I would probably not recommend. However, if those are not priorities, than yes I would recommend as I think the opportunity for women are numerous.

Lady abc37

There are huge expectations for production (both for male & female employees), however, it could be more difficult for working parents. The firm does offer flexibility (not just working parents but for all employees) but it can be difficult to feel comfortable taking this time. A lot depends on your supervisor and the team/project that you are working on.

Madam anon739

You must be ready to work long hours, even during the week-end. The speak about flexibility, but it means "working from home" after work or on the week-ends.

There are a lot of resources and benefits available for working moms.

Madam Fighting for family

Senior Associate

CBS

I've worked here for five years in two different departments, and while culture is espoused similarly across the board, the way important initiatives are implemented is very supervisor-dependent. Lower-ranking employees are expected to network furiously and often "after hours" putting working parents at a disadvantage. Many women directors and partners who have successfully climbed the ladder and built their families expect that lower-ranking (read:less compensated) employees have the resources to be flexible. One director advised me to hire an au pair so that I could devote more time to work despite already averaging 10 hour days. Many women wind up on the proverbial mommy-track rather than advancing to partner or director as a result. Year after year there does seem to be more conversation around retention - particularly of high performing women - so there is hope if you're willing to fight (hard) for your work to be recognized. Benefits packages are good and the large size of the organization means you can transfer and seek new opportunities internally, too.

Maybe. Very much depends on your direct supervisor, your department, and whether or not you are client serving (aka a revenue generator) or in core services. Definitely has a (white) boys club overall persona despite some great equality initiatives like paid parental leave. If you are a client serving high-performer, you will likely be able to find support and mentoring but if you are struggling to differentiate your road may stagnate. Women and minorities are promoted at a substantially slower rate than white male peers, unfortunately, even considering supply. Culturally you must buy-in (big).

jenny_down_the_block

Tax Manager

National Tax

Depending on your team and the people you work with, hours and whether WFH is frowned upon can vary wildly.

Madam MommaBear

Client Business Service

EY usually has the best intentions but I feel like it's a little all over the place. The technology is dated, the policies aren't always put into practice. Sometimes I feel babied and I don't feel like I have a strong career path here but at the same time, I'm pressured to work a lot. I do think the people are sweet and genuine but I also feel like my team has hurdles with trying to keep a team together while trying to appease management.

Maybe. It all depends on the team, office location and position. There is constant pressure to improve a process before the process is even determined. Your hours and utilization are major pressure points. You need to remain chargeable but efficient but not too efficient or else you won't meet utilization. The pressure to maintain this balance is difficult. As a female I have no issues here but as a new mom, I don't think the company always practices what they preach. I think if you are at a senior manager level and up, it's much easier to take advantage of the policies. Any one below that, it's like you're not really welcome to the same family benefits without judgement or push back.

Lady 052083

...

Business Development Operations

Business Development

n/a

Maybe. At EY, it's all about client serving. If you are in back office poisition, you may not be valued as much.

Audit