Fog Creek Software

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at Fog Creek Software to join us.

Blue Ridge Partners Management Consulting, LLC Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Be cautious and go into this company with eyes wide open. A lot of the work is extremely interesting, and the shorter nature of most engagements means you'll get a lot of experience, fast! Most of your coworkers will also be very friendly and collaborative. I have generally had a very positive experience in that sense, and I have grown substantially as a consultant. It is particularly notable that a small firm like Blue Ridge would have such a strong training and performance management program - we have an abundance of online and in-person courses, and most are top-notch. However, it's probably not a coincidence that our leadership team (managing directors and principals) is very white and male, with only 1 female. Working from home can offer great flexibility that would appeal to women in theory, but perhaps because we play in the PE space, the work, hours, and travel are much less predictable than they might be at a bigger consulting firm. Keep in mind that most of the senior men have stay-at-home spouses, which may explain why they don't seem to make an effort to make projects more predictable. I don't know that there's discrimination per se (women are supported and do get promoted at similar rates to men), but I also don't think there's any particular sense of urgency to increase diversity. The topic of maternity leave comes up over and over, and the partners seem to brush it aside. As of now, there is no company-paid leave, which is disappointing and also makes our company very uncompetitive benefits-wise in the world of consulting. And if you decide to get out and join a bigger consulting firm with better benefits? Prepare for an uphill battle. We have a very vague non-compete agreement, which - despite its in enforceability in virtually any jurisdiction - the powers that be may use to intimidate you into staying and/or not taking a new role. Don't take the bait - hire a lawyer to draft a release agreement and move on gracefully. It'll be money well spent.

Since we don't have offices, there can be flexibility when you're working from home (e.g., can drop off/pick up kids, can do a doctor's appointment/errand during the day). However, I've ended up traveling A LOT more than I was told I would (almost every week) and it's very unpredictable - I usually don't know where/if I'm traveling until less than a week in advance. This can be quite stressful, and makes it hard to plan.

There isn't any paid maternity leave, unless you count partially-paid disability. However, there is fairly generous unpaid leave. One woman I know took 6 months.

Maybe. If you've already had kids or don't plan to, this might be a good fit - the maternity leave is only partial pay for 6 weeks (8 weeks for a C-section) through a disability policy. You can take more time than that, but it will be unpaid.

Johnson & Johnson Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
4.1

Great company when it comes to worklife balance. Worked there for almost 9 years and throughout all of my roles I always had the flexibility to work from home a couple days a week.

Senior Care Centers, Ltc Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Its Great!

Legal Fee Advisors Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

The company is management-heavy, and provides conflicting direction to the legal analysts. It was difficult to navigate the rules. I'd say everyone was treated equally within the experience level they were in. But one day the project was over and I got an email saying my services were no longer needed. That was it.

Industry Dive Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

It's a supportive and growth focused company with excellent benefits.

Ologie Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

This is a rare woman-owned creative company, so they're all about empowering other women to succeed. But there aren't always the resources or time available to do so--there's a lack of mentoring, and things are so fast-paced that it's easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Maybe. Women are treated fairly here. That said, it is a tough environment--long hours, lots of travel (but that's typical of the advertising/branding industry).

Alliance Residential Company Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I wish maternity leave was paid at full salary but that's not the company fault. Easy to get promoted if you work hard and follow company policy.

Peoples Health Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

There are females in upper management including the CEO. Overall, Human Resources is not trustworthy so I would not recommend the company to anyone either male or female.

Maybe. There are pros and cons. It would depend a lot on what the woman was looking for and what department they were interested in.

ParkUSA Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Maternity leave almost seems frowned upon.

Lowe's Companies Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Women are usually placed in support roles although there are department managers in other departments, mainly home decor, fashion ligting, cashiering.