Harris Corporation

harris.com

Over the past few years I've noticed there are more women in executive and manager positions, and it seems like Harris is making an effort to hire more women as well. There are support systems like an employee resource group and a leadership speaker series and conference for women.

This may depend on the location or department culture and customer requirements, but my management has always had the mindset that as long as employees are successfully contributing and meeting deadlines and goals, there is no reason not to allow flexibility.

Harris doesn't have a specific maternity/paternity leave plan, but the discretionary PTO plan allows us to decide how much time off to request for vacation and other time off like maternity leave. I took 4 weeks of PTO for my maternity leave (in addition to my 6 weeks of short-term disability). I felt comfortable that by continuing to be a high performing employee, my management would still also approve additional PTO later in the year - I would just need to get higher level approvals. I know other women who have taken a full 12 weeks of paid leave through 6 weeks of PTO on top of STD. (I chose not to so I would hopefully have room to take more later).

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Mechanical Design Engineer

Engineering

It's a terrible atmosphere, no one talks to me, I barely get handed work while others around me have work. I was passed up for any kind of salary increase and we do not, if rarely, get bonuses.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Provide me with more opportunities for work and exposure.