Jo-Ann Stores, Inc.

www.joann.com/

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at Jo-Ann Stores, Inc. to join us.

SODAT-Delaware, Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Don't work there. this employer is not female friendly and does not support advancement

Berklee College of Music Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

A surprising number of women are in staff leadership roles, and have been for a long time. They're actively working to increase diversification in the faculty.

Flexibility definitely changes depending on the department that you're in, but on the whole, there's a lot of work-from-home and flexible work hour opportunities.

Smart Circle International Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Dressing to impress is important during the interview process and after being hired on. Looking your best (ironed/clean, professional-looking attire, make-up, brushed/washed/styled hair, dress shoes) is VERY important to them and will definitely be a factor in whether or not you are hired. The same goes for the males there, though (brushed/washed/styled hair, clean/ironed suit, tie, dress shoes, belt).

Long hours, unpredictable schedule. Not ideal for parents. Ideal for college students, high school graduates, intern-wanna-be's, and college graduates looking for a career in marketing and/or sales.

Maybe. Working here is ideal for younger, single women. Not ideal for new mothers, pregnant women, or women who are unwilling to start at entry-level (primarily due to long hours, unpredictable schedule, and overwhelming commitment that is expected, especially for those who wish to be promoted quickly).

AEI/Affiliated Engineers, Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Projects come first so that can mean tons of overtime and travel.

Maybe. Take a careful look at your manager.

Sony Music Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

There's a sense of "paying your dues" to grow within the company, but for women its much more disproportionate. There are few women in VP positions, if any. You work along side some really great, talented individuals and that was the best part, but the culture is dismal, especially as it pertains to the growth of women.

Maybe. I worked in the Latin division, so perhaps other divisions within Sony Music are more egalitarian and women friendly.

University of Iowa Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
4.5

UI has flexible work hours, but their maternity leave policy is the bare minimum allowed by law and little to no opportunity to work from home.

Had to use all of my vacation and sick leave, then worry about losing benefits during the period in which I was unpaid.

Maybe. While their maternity leave policy leaves something to be desired, they do allow for some flexibility in work schedules and an abundance of vacation/sick leave (regardless of gender). They also have good lactation rooms available.

The Southern Company Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I've worked here for 15 years, and the company does make efforts to promote women, but I'd say the family policies are equally rough for men and women. The culture is generally not very family-friendly, BUT it truly depends on your manager and department. I've been relatively lucky over the years, but I've had friends who have been in ridiculous situations (being made to take off an hour of vacation if they had to go to a school play - even though a professional and not hourly employee). The culture trends toward the old school chained-to-your-desk from 8 to 5 mentality, but again, it greatly varies with who you work for. I've been awfully lucky over the years. They do try to promote a diverse workforce. The job is very stable. It's hard to get fired from Southern Company (or it's sub companies - Alabama Power, Georgia Power, Gulf Power, Mississippi Power, Southern Nuclear, Southern Power and Southern Company Services). The provide a nice bonus, they are fairly good about career paths and they provide a nice pension, so there are good points about working here. Regarding the parental leave policy, it has been ridiculously antiquated for decades. They recently performed a study showing how many female engineers they were losing because of it, so they've made some much needed changes. They now offer 14 fully paid weeks as of Jan. 1, 2016. This is for new parents and adoptive parents as well. Before you had two weeks and could then use your vacation and sick leave and then go unpaid. Some managers hated to see their employees in rough shape, so would offer extended sick leave throughout whatever you agreed with them at 60 percent. Management is male-dominated and very southern old-school. They are making, what I consider, honest efforts to diversify, and I think in not too long we will see the fruits of that, but for now it's run by wealthy men with stay at home wives with full time help who take care of everything. At the end of the day, we will see that diversification (and already see it a bit), but it's a sad fact that most women who come up in the company through management are harder to deal with. The attitude is very much "I didn't have all these 'privileges' and you shouldn't either, which is disheartening. For the most part, male managers are much more family-friendly. The new policy is nice and workable, but I hope over time, as an industry-leader and a Fortune 500 company, they will become more generous.

Maybe. They are slowly changing their policies and in many respects it's a good company to work for. Not perfect, but good.

REI Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I worked there for a year and a half part time while I was in school. I had a really supportive boss, and was offered a full-time position if I wanted it, which would have been my entree into making a career in the company. I didn't, but I appreciated that they appreciated me.

Hyde Park Central School District Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

It was a sub job. Environment was great!

Mindshare Worldwide Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Long hours and low pay