McCarter & English, LLP

www.mccarter.com/

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at McCarter & English, LLP to join us.

NiSource Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Many down to earth, good hearted people. But it is your stereotypical blue collar guy mentality so there were times I got the feeling that I was getting professional attention only because of my looks

Field jobs be ready to work a ton and be on call. Office jobs tend to be more flexible.

6 weeks 100% pay for vaginal delivery. 8 weeks at 100 for c section. Can take an additional unpaid up to 12 weeks under fmla. No paternal leave.

Midwest Community Bank Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Run for the hills. Not only are their benefits the worst I've ever seen in my 12 years of working experience, but they do not even have a written maternity policy. When I got pregnant, I thought perhaps they would finally implement something into their policy, but this never happened and I received ZERO compensation for the time I took off. I was told I was lucky to even be able to take any time off, which was interesting seeing that I was protected through FMLA. I paid over 1500 a month for our insurance premium PLUS our deductible was 5k a person! With no paid maternity leave, it was very hard for us to plan financially to make our mortgage payment during the three months I had no income and still have to pay our 1.5k insurance premium to get post-maternity care and keep up with my baby boy's dr visits. All while, knowing that the two brothers that own the bank privately made well into the upper six figures and had not a care in the world about their senior support staff struggling to raise a brand new family. It was very disconcerning. They also pay severely undermarket in general, but especially if you are a woman. I am a very high achiever, and I had to persistently ask for a performance review for over a year and a half before I finally got any feedback from my boss. When I finally did get the feedback, I had positive scores across the board and I went a step further and brought up compensation sharing industry averages from Robert Half's 2017 publication, noting that I was severely underpaid for my position and level of experience coupled with my recent stellar performance review. My boss granted me a 2k bonus immediately in good faith that I would receive a raise after the first quarter. Well that never happened, and the CEO (one of the brothers I mentioned earlier) decided to let me go with no warning, 2 week notice and certainly no severance. While I'm glad that I gained the experience there, that place for a woman is like working 50 years ago. I even witnessed the CEO fire his current assistant with no warning or valid reasoning as happened to me (she was the office mom type, middle aged woman who dressed in relaxed fit clothing) only to have her replacement already lined up, a younger, hipper version that seemed like arm candy. It was gross, and probably illegal. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's worth a legal pursuit. I'm hoping to warn women this way instead. They don't deserve your time or talent. I am very happy now in my current role and this experience really made me appreciate what I have now!

They have no written maternity leave policy. HR makes you feel lucky to get unpaid FMLA. Insurance is 1.5k per month with a 5k deductible per person. How can a modern household with two working parents afford this on top of a mortgage, car payment, etc with NO income???

Fleishman-Hillard Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Women are treated fairly. Work/life balance is not ideal for either gender. I'm no longer with the company, and I have heard they have taken initiatives to strike a better balanced but cannot personally attest. Great resume builder.

LRN Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

December 2016

Be careful how much you stand up for yourself if you want to stay!

University Of Nebraska Omaha Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Get things in writing. Make sure that what is agreed when you start a project is outlined from the beginning. Check what was expected of other people, and make sure the standards are the same for you.

Policies need to be standardized. What is considered enough for one person should be the same for another in the same position. Everything is too subjective.

FrazierHeiby Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

More than half of the senior leadership team is female.

Suncor Energy Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I have worked here for 5 years too long. It's a sexist company with a good old boys attitude. It's a Canadian company with a US division. The discrepancies between the maternity leave for Canadian citizens and US citizens is absurd. The life work balance is almost non-existant. It has only been recently that promoting diveristy and inclusion has been on the radar of Suncor.

Union Pacific Corporation Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Women are treated fairly but the company culture still reflects the mentality of a male dominated, 24/7 workforce whose leaders advanced due in large part to their spouses raising their families, allowing them to focus on their careers. Although the company is aware of the need to address work/life balance issues for all employees, and has created policies to allow for a more flexible work environment (ex. telecommuting)few employees actually take advantage of these options because the culture is not fully supportive. At a time when other companies are introducing new leave policies to adapt to the needs of a changing workforce, Union Pacific's culture remains largely unchanged. Leave policies aside, the company does offer a pension plan in addition to the 401k plan (with company match). The pension benefit is sometimes overlooked by applicants who do not understand the benefit or whose goals are not to establish a long-term career but to work for different employers throughout their career. Overall, pay and benefits are competitive with other large employers.

Altria Group, Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

July 2015

I've worked here for 8 years and there are a lot of women working here, but predominantly in entry level and middle management roles. Generally I believe they are treated fairly but upper management is male-dominated and not diverse, which makes it tougher for women to "network" with them. Mid-level women don't seem to advance because of these subtle issues. Also, while maternity leave is generous here I think women are judged by some colleagues and managers for taking the full time.

CustomMade.com Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

February 2015

Challenging, interesting work- but I would never recommend this workplace for a young woman who is trying to grow her career. The leadership team is made up entirely of men, there are no policies in place for having children, and there are no opportunities for mentorship or development. With plenty of great tech companies in Boston, I'd definitely avoid this one.