Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center

mskcc_gal2012

Project Coordinator

I have been very lucky in my career at MSKCC and I feel very fulfilled, challenged and respected on a daily basis. Due to the strong relationships I have formed with the faculty members I have worked for, I have already been promoted twice over my 4 year career. This being said, I am acutely aware of some of the observable favoritism. From my perspective, some questionable promotions are handed out to bewilderingly inefficient employees while other stand-outs remain in the same position year after year. However, I think the potential for an outstanding career at MSKCC is very possible, however contingent it may be upon who an employee’s manager happens to be, which I do not personally feel is reflective of one’s talent. This being said, the doctors/faculty will go to bat for you, if you prove yourself to be an asset to the institution. To me, that negates any sort of low-level catty dynamics, which are likely to be present in some way within most work contexts. In terms of flexibility, I think MSKCC is outstanding. They have been extremely flexible with my part-time school schedule, allowing me to flex my hours. A former coworker of mine was a single mother and they also allowed a great deal of understanding and flex-time for her to meet her familial obligations. I also think, based on my personal comparisons to my friends, that the health benefits provided by MSKCC are the top of the top.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Nyctalent

Highly motivating for women, many women in leadership roles looking to positively mentor other women.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Lady GotThere

MSKCC invests in making sure that entry level salaries are above market and then works to retain employees. It succeeds through inertia. Above the entry level, wages stay low. In my group of over 20 people, only three are males. The rest are female. I believe this is because the men know they can get better pay elsewhere and don't take jobs at MSKCC and/or seek better pay sooner once they arrive. However, if money isn't a concern, it is a good place with good people.

Lady Medicine

I've never experienced such racial and age prompted division and discrimination in my career. Excellent center for cancer research and treatment; not so much for minority and older employees...even more so for women.

Only if you "look" a certain way.

Madam aspiringboss

Physician

I worked her for close to half a decade. There is unfortunately an "old boys' club" mentality still very much alive at mskcc. Most chairpersons of departments and institutional leadership are men. It is nearly impossible to get close to male leaders as a woman, while your male peers go out for beers and dinner with their superiors. Women are decently represented in the ranks of junior attending physicians, but don't seem to make it to the level of professor or chairperson as often as they should. I am talking here about the clinical side; don't get me started on the science and research fronts. Treatment of female MDs is rarely outright sexist or malignant, but the pervasive nature of male favoritism is undeniable. Some departments stand out in their support and mentorship of women, but on the whole it is subpar.

Depends on the department since chairperson of dept sets the culture and tone the most.

Madam T

Medicine/Clinical Research

Clinical Research dept is very female oriented. There is some flexibility but not much, depending on your position.