Michael J. Fox Foundation

www.michaeljfox.org

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at Michael J. Fox Foundation to join us.

HRP Associates, Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Women are treated with respect and are judged on their work rather than their gender.

Forrester Research Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

October 2016

The culture here is really dependent on which department you work in. I worked in an area that was made up of mostly women so work-life balance was understood and there were never issues for any of the working mothers that I knew to leave early, or take time off/work from home when there issues related to their children.

RCO Legal, P.S. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

September 2016

Not a bad place to work, great dresscode, good hours

Indiana University Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
3.8

There is so much bureaucracy that it's frustrating and often feels hard to do a good job and get anything done.

KUNC Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

My job came with its fair share of stress -- and that was fine. But when I tried to negotiate for unpaid leave following a family emergency, no one would even answer my requests. I asked my immediate supervisor twice, and the head of the station once. First the response was that I needed to return to work in order to discuss, then the response was that we couldn't discuss it until my vacation days run out. One month later, I'm terminated for productivity reasons. Funny, I brought up not feeling productive as the reason for why I would like unpaid leave. If you're single, child-less, sibling-less, parent-less, you'll be okay here. But I was appalled that people could ask me on the surface how my family was doing, yet show so little compassion for my leave needs -- especially since family leave is outlined in their handbook.

Los Alamos National Laboratory Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
4.5

At the most senior levels, there are fewer women. There has never been a female Director/President or VP-level equivalent. As far as I know there has only been one female deputy director but that role is largely placed solely by the LLC company and not necessarily the lab. Politics can be horrendous and I saw many people (women and men) get brought down by it, rightly or wrongly. Although it seemed to be pretty equal opportunity and not specific to sex/gender. There are pockets where women are staunch advocates of others and support, mentor, and guide them and others where they seem to try to bring them down. Some high level managers do have reputations for being pervy, lecherous, and downright inappropriate with female staff. From what I could tell it was very widely known in certain circles (a quick Google search and you can find a couple of very specific ones). I don't think this is all that different from any other comparably-sized company though. All in all, I was in a male dominated area and never once felt my gender put me at a disadvantage. The environment itself requires thick skin but not at all based on any sort of gender bias that I noticed in my several years working here.

Savannah College Of Art And Design Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

If you're a woman, you will probably be hired as an assistant and asked to work for a man who might be great (like my boss was) or might be incredibly demanding for both work and personal tasks that he doesn't differentiate as part of your purview. There's a largely toxic work culture as well, but a lot of great people work there with women in some positions of power. It's a complex setting, so definitely watch your step. I saw quite a few women leave over not being promoted beyond support roles if they didn't fit very particular aesthetics or willingness to sacrifice personal lives.

The Southern Company Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I've worked here for 15 years, and the company does make efforts to promote women, but I'd say the family policies are equally rough for men and women. The culture is generally not very family-friendly, BUT it truly depends on your manager and department. I've been relatively lucky over the years, but I've had friends who have been in ridiculous situations (being made to take off an hour of vacation if they had to go to a school play - even though a professional and not hourly employee). The culture trends toward the old school chained-to-your-desk from 8 to 5 mentality, but again, it greatly varies with who you work for. I've been awfully lucky over the years. They do try to promote a diverse workforce. The job is very stable. It's hard to get fired from Southern Company (or it's sub companies - Alabama Power, Georgia Power, Gulf Power, Mississippi Power, Southern Nuclear, Southern Power and Southern Company Services). The provide a nice bonus, they are fairly good about career paths and they provide a nice pension, so there are good points about working here. Regarding the parental leave policy, it has been ridiculously antiquated for decades. They recently performed a study showing how many female engineers they were losing because of it, so they've made some much needed changes. They now offer 14 fully paid weeks as of Jan. 1, 2016. This is for new parents and adoptive parents as well. Before you had two weeks and could then use your vacation and sick leave and then go unpaid. Some managers hated to see their employees in rough shape, so would offer extended sick leave throughout whatever you agreed with them at 60 percent. Management is male-dominated and very southern old-school. They are making, what I consider, honest efforts to diversify, and I think in not too long we will see the fruits of that, but for now it's run by wealthy men with stay at home wives with full time help who take care of everything. At the end of the day, we will see that diversification (and already see it a bit), but it's a sad fact that most women who come up in the company through management are harder to deal with. The attitude is very much "I didn't have all these 'privileges' and you shouldn't either, which is disheartening. For the most part, male managers are much more family-friendly. The new policy is nice and workable, but I hope over time, as an industry-leader and a Fortune 500 company, they will become more generous.

Maersk Group Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Typical oil industry where there are more men than women, but the women are definitely treated equal

Radio Systems Corporation Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

February 2015

I have worked there for 7 years and have seen co-workers go on maternity leave and return (long-serving co-workers). I've seen temporary 'replacements' also hired even when the new mom returned. Typical work experience is very dependent on department you are part of and who your boss is. I was very lucky to have a wonderful boss, very understanding and generous when work-from-home situations arise. I was lucky my boss was a real champion for me and her direct reports, always working to better our situation.