New York State Homes and Community Renewal

www.nyshcr.org/

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at New York State Homes and Community Renewal to join us.

Camp Savio Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

lots of opportunity for self-initiative professional growth if interested and dedicated.

DCI, Inc Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Dialysis is a job that requires a very compassionate care giver.

Blue Ridge Partners Management Consulting, LLC Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Be cautious and go into this company with eyes wide open. A lot of the work is extremely interesting, and the shorter nature of most engagements means you'll get a lot of experience, fast! Most of your coworkers will also be very friendly and collaborative. I have generally had a very positive experience in that sense, and I have grown substantially as a consultant. It is particularly notable that a small firm like Blue Ridge would have such a strong training and performance management program - we have an abundance of online and in-person courses, and most are top-notch. However, it's probably not a coincidence that our leadership team (managing directors and principals) is very white and male, with only 1 female. Working from home can offer great flexibility that would appeal to women in theory, but perhaps because we play in the PE space, the work, hours, and travel are much less predictable than they might be at a bigger consulting firm. Keep in mind that most of the senior men have stay-at-home spouses, which may explain why they don't seem to make an effort to make projects more predictable. I don't know that there's discrimination per se (women are supported and do get promoted at similar rates to men), but I also don't think there's any particular sense of urgency to increase diversity. The topic of maternity leave comes up over and over, and the partners seem to brush it aside. As of now, there is no company-paid leave, which is disappointing and also makes our company very uncompetitive benefits-wise in the world of consulting. And if you decide to get out and join a bigger consulting firm with better benefits? Prepare for an uphill battle. We have a very vague non-compete agreement, which - despite its in enforceability in virtually any jurisdiction - the powers that be may use to intimidate you into staying and/or not taking a new role. Don't take the bait - hire a lawyer to draft a release agreement and move on gracefully. It'll be money well spent.

Since we don't have offices, there can be flexibility when you're working from home (e.g., can drop off/pick up kids, can do a doctor's appointment/errand during the day). However, I've ended up traveling A LOT more than I was told I would (almost every week) and it's very unpredictable - I usually don't know where/if I'm traveling until less than a week in advance. This can be quite stressful, and makes it hard to plan.

There isn't any paid maternity leave, unless you count partially-paid disability. However, there is fairly generous unpaid leave. One woman I know took 6 months.

Hunter Public Relations Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

They respect talent and will be flexibile to keep the talent they want. However, the job itself is what it is and PR is just a demanding career with deadlines that are not always forgiving.

the number of paid weeks depends on how long you've worked there. some weeks were half pay

Maclean-Fogg Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

December 2016

Don't be afraid to drive conversations about growth and development plans. Management seems to be open to discussing theses topics, but it seems like employees have to drive the conversation.

Kaplan University Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
3.4

December 2016

Its a man's world governed by nepotism. Equal pay does not exist and there is no urgent desire within management or hr to fix this.

Normandin Beaudry Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

September 2016

Great place to work for a woman. Not treated differently than any man.

Petsmart Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I had a bad post-maternity experience, but I went to HR and was able to turn things around with my child-less manager and they understood feeding my baby wasn't me slacking off. On-site day care is amazing. Market conditions, multiple layoffs and bad managers at all levels made this job easy to leave at the end. Hours were crazy and at one point I was asked to go pick up my 4 month old from day care when they closed at 6 and keep working while my boss held my baby. Lots of great training classes and developmental opportunities. The culture is awesome.

MPI Research, Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

In general there are not a lot of women above director level here (basically none right now except the head of HR). There is little overt sexism, but there is definitely a "good 'ol boy" culture you need to deal with. I think women could advance higher up in the company here and they have had female VPs in the past; however, it would be somewhat of a challenge since all the leadership team members are older, white males. Regarding kids: A lot of women have kids here at many levels in the company. The maternity leave policy is 6 weeks 60% pay plus 6 weeks unpaid for a total of 12 weeks. A lot of people use their PTO so they can get paid. There are good, inexpensive daycare centers very close by, and some women leave at lunch to nurse their newborns. Work/life balance and flexibility are very dependent on your direct supervisor. MPI Does support breast feeding (there is a lactation lounge, etc.), but we also work very hard here so it can be a challenge to balance pumping with the work load.

Kidd Group Communication Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

April 2015