Penn State University

2.6

"Working for Penn State University as staff can be very different across campus. Penn State really should re-evaluate their policy for parental leave for staff (faculty get unlimited sick time that they can use, staff must use their accrued sick and vacation time). I've heard more and more stories about women deciding to not have a second child or trying to get their doctor to clear them to come back early at six weeks because Penn State does not give staff fully paid parental leave."
One thing Penn State University can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"
Engineer, Engineering
"Penn State really should re-evaluate their policy for parental leave for staff (faculty get unlimited sick time that they can use, staff must use their accrued sick and vacation time). I've heard more and more stories about women deciding to not have a second child or trying to get their doctor to clear them to come back early at six weeks because Penn State does not give staff fully paid parental leave. Other big ten universities are doing much better - https://ir.uiowa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1132&context=honors_theses"
Would you recommend Penn State University to other women?
"As an administrative assistant most of your coworkers will be females. "
Would you recommend Penn State University to other women?
"Prepare yourself to be very very thick skin, especially if you are a minority. Plenty of harassment/discrimination."
"not sure"
"Take discrimination/harassment seriously"
Graduate Student, Research & Development
"N/A"
Would you recommend Penn State University to other women?
"Depending on your office, Penn State can be very family friendly."
One thing Penn State University can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"
, Marketing
"I was able to save up vacation and sick time so I could still be paid for my leave. I ran out after 8 weeks and couldn't afford to take unpaid time off, so I went back to work when the vacation/sick time ran out. Since I had to zero out my time, it's been really stressful when the inevitable happens and I need to take time off if my baby gets sick or if my husband has to go out of town on days when he is usually home with the baby."
Would you recommend Penn State University to other women?
"Penn State's family leave policy for staff is really not great, compared to the family leave policy for faculty. It puts families at a disadvantage and makes work pretty stressful if (when) something goes wrong later on."
"Penn State is a great place for women to work, overall. I have seen more women in leadership positions here than I have at most universities. But the multi-campus system can be difficult to navigate, and opportunities for internal advancement do not exist at all locations."
One thing Penn State University can improve?
"Provide more opportunities for advancement internally."
Would you recommend Penn State University to other women?
"Take advantage of the tuition reimbursement benefit ASAP, don't expect to go anywhere as far as growing in the company. Also the culture is horrendous. Unfortunately, a great deal of workplace bullying, rank and file. "
One thing Penn State University can improve?
"Improve work life balance (i.e. Flextime), Compensation, and Culture & Mentoring. "
Would you recommend Penn State University to other women?
"The Medical Center suffers from competing visions. The old employees want to maintain the status quo, while the new recruits envision a research oriented institution. The competing visions make it difficult to get things done. The Cancer Institute doesn't seem to be very interested in recruiting women to top positions."
Would you recommend Penn State University to other women?
"I would definitely talk to current employees in the department of interest and reach out to former employees in the same department."
"Research assistantships are never easy but depending on your advisor, funding, and department things can work out well enough"
Would you recommend Penn State University to other women?
"Depends on their goals and if they're single"