Polk State College

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at Polk State College to join us.

City of Santa Monica, California Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I think the culture can vary a lot depending on your supervisor. My supervisor is a proponent of professional development so I've been able to attend some excellent trainings and schools, as well as work on projects that have really challenged me and helped me to grow. With regard to family, my supervisors have all been very supportive of work life balance, so I've had a very positive experience since my first child was born. However, in some areas there is not as much flexibility due to city policy - for example, no paid maternity leave and no official policy for working remotely. With unpaid maternity leave, you end up having to pay cobras for your health insurance and your anniversary date with the City changes she which affects future retirement and pension benefits. Also, childcare options within the city are limited. The city only has one daycare partner that gives city employees priority on the waiting list (no discount though - and it's expensive, upwards of $2000/month for an infant). The school is great, but I was on the waiting list at 12 weeks pregnant for my first child and we did not get off of the waitlist until my child was 7 months old, leaving a 3 month gap between the end of my maternity leave and our daycare start date. Finally, without an official city policy re: working remotely your opportunites there can vary across departments and leadership's willingness to ok that option. In sum, there is definitely room for improvement and some changes I'd like to see, but great overall work culture and experience.

Rockwell Automation Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Pay may not be equal but you have the opportunity to receive support with the Professional Women's Council and other Employee Resource Groups. Lactation rooms are pretty great. Schedules are flexible.

The Educational Alliance Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

It depends what division you work in. For instance, my division is far more flexible than other areas.

It's a CBO, so they REALLY don't like remote work. They feel like everyone needs to be in site all the time.

The Jonathan Club Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Be careful. It's not worth it. If you are a minority or a woman expect to be treated like you are below every white man hired.

I already left.

Advanced Assembly Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

They are full of talk. They say that they are supportive when it comes to working parents, but they don't put their words into action. Yes, they have been fairly flexible with my schedule so I can pick up my daughter and have understood when I needed to work from home because she was sick or daycare was closed. But when I ask for the raise and promotion that I deserve, I'm turned down. HR is the biggest joke. They are two women that care so little for the women of this company. The men are more understanding actually. HR wanted me to pump in a tiny utility closet that had a shower in it for emergency reason (manufacturing business). I kindly asked them to allow me to use one of the vacant offices instead and was sure to copy the owner of the company. HR agreed, but was very clear to state that I would be kicked out and put back into the original room should they need that office for a future employee. Now we can talk about maternity leave. What a joke. It's unpaid and I actually had to write them a check every month for my families health benefits. I ask them prior to my leave if there was any day given paid, even the day I'm in labor. HR responded "no, of course not, you're not work." This place is continuing to lose great staff because of how poorly they treat people and they don't seem to want to change. People are expected to work 50 hour work weeks (which doesn't help the company many anymore money) and have little time with their families. I'm working hard to move on.

They forced me to write them a check every month to pay for my health insurance. Stated that they don't give even the day your in labor as a paid day because "you're not working"

UrbanDaddy Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Male colleagues were making 50% higher salary than women and not performing at the same level as women.

Teaching Strategies, LLC Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

This company truly understands the importance of a work-life balance when you are juggling a family and a busy career. Being in the early childhood education field, it's nice that they practice what they preach. Management is balanced between men and women, which is very refreshing. I would advise anyone to work here, especially those with young families.

Alere Inc Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I've worked here over six years and never have been promoted even though I've year over year given more and more of my time to excel at my job. Every year I'm told there is no job growth or money to give for promotions. There is little to no job development.

Lenovo Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
2.7

As a woman, be prepared to work hard for the positions and pay that you want. Depending on your department, work-life balance may or may not be valued. In general, it really is not, but you can find some good teams. Do your research, and be ready to outlive the old IBMers who are well established, and in need of replacement.

Riot Games Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

July 2015

I've worked here for nearly 2 years. Having worked in other gaming industry jobs, Riot is great as far as how I'm treated by other coworkers: I never feel like I'm being objectified or thought of as "the girl", and my opinions are heard (unlike other jobs where people would discredit them because of my taste in games). However, a downside is that alphas and aggressive personalities (loud talkers, extroverts) are given priority here, usually when they shouldn't get it, but do get it because of exerted dominance.