Raytheon Company

3.1

greenly12

Still some objectifying of women in the workplace, and "old-school" managers make flexibility really tough.

Not for Promotion, Hiring, Evaluation and Reviews

Varies extremely manager to manager and unbelievable cultural blocks to improvement.

notacreampuff

All of the people who are fast-tracked (e.g. promoted every two years after having started as an E1) are men. I don't know of a single woman who has been fast-tracked. The vast, vast majority of E44s and E88s are men. In the area where I sit, only four women have offices (i.e. only four women are an E5 or an E6) whereas at least 23 men do. The vast majority of women where I sit have been mommy-tracked. Nepotism is absolutely rampant. Most of the people I work with are related to someone else who works at the company. If you are the child of someone important or some higher-up is a family friend, you will get special treatment.

FriendOfTheMuskrat

Ensure that you take advantage of programs already put in place and provide input for process improvement.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Just added three weeks paid maternity/paternity leave to existing time off.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Raytheon gives the appearance of treating women fairly, but they do not do this. Only caucasian women are treated slightly better of than all women. I have close to a 30 year career at Raytheon in El Segundo, CA. I have seen men always promoted over women. It has gotten to the point that a caucasian male (age in his 50s) with no college degree what so ever was promoted to lead a group. Every single person in his group had at least one college degree with many having advanced degrees. Normally, a person in his position would be required to have a college degree. This male is working on his degree (online via an east coast school) in order to have all the prequisistes needed for his job. While he is based on the west coast, he will never set foot on a college, but at some point will have a college degree. Infractions of every type are looked the other way for men. Women are scrutenized for everything we do. Pay inequities exist in every position. The only way Raytheon can prove it does not exist is by publishing salaries which it will never do. Publishing salaries will expose the lie. Ethics is non-existent in the company. Raytheon gives lip service to it, but does not act on it. Raytheon now has an initiative to only "interview women or people of color" for upper level positions. The key is only an interview needs to occur, but you don't have to hire that person.

Overall treatment of women which includes women in leadership roles, improving work life balance and policies, compensation, benefits, etc.

Principal Systems Engineers

Systems Engineering

If you want a voice as an engineer, do not work at Raytheon. Very much still a good old boys club and the women that move up, suck up.

Maybe. Depends on the position

Lady cmcm

I work at a wholly-owned subsidiary of Raytheon. Acquisition by Raytheon has had a negative impact on our overall benefits, but work-life balance can be very good, if you hold your boundaries well. There are relatively few technical women but that hasn't been a particular source of problems in my personal experience.

Maybe. maternity leave is weak; benefits are getting worse

Senior Engineer

Whole Life Engineering

I was very lucky to be in a very supportive group where I was able to learn and grow. Further, my supervisors were very supportive of giving me challenging assignments, and seemed to be really flexible with me as long as I got the work done well. The down side for the industry as a whole is that it is very old school, and very much an old boys' network, this can make it very hard to be taken seriously.

Maybe. The upside is they were very good about being flexible with me working from home. The company is very old-school, very "old boys' club".

Lady redsunrisebluesunshine

Senior Financial Analyst

It's solid company to work for as a women.

Lady nuclearpolymer

Senior Scientist

Women are a minority of the technical staff (which is the majority of people). The number of women varies by department. The company is making a effort to investigate whether women are treated fairly, and to improve subtle things that are a problem for women, but it's not totally perfect. Work/life balance is good, and you can fairly easily go back and forth between part-time and full-time. You will still occasionally run into ridiculous incidents of sexism, but it's not common and generally not conscious.