Raytheon gives the appearance of treating women fairly, but they do not do this. Only caucasian women are treated slightly better of than all women. I have close to a 30 year career at Raytheon in El Segundo, CA. I have seen men always promoted over women. It has gotten to the point that a caucasian male (age in his 50s) with no college degree what so ever was promoted to lead a group. Every single person in his group had at least one college degree with many having advanced degrees. Normally, a person in his position would be required to have a college degree. This male is working on his degree (online via an east coast school) in order to have all the prequisistes needed for his job. While he is based on the west coast, he will never set foot on a college, but at some point will have a college degree. Infractions of every type are looked the other way for men. Women are scrutenized for everything we do. Pay inequities exist in every position. The only way Raytheon can prove it does not exist is by publishing salaries which it will never do. Publishing salaries will expose the lie. Ethics is non-existent in the company. Raytheon gives lip service to it, but does not act on it. Raytheon now has an initiative to only "interview women or people of color" for upper level positions. The key is only an interview needs to occur, but you don't have to hire that person.

Overall treatment of women which includes women in leadership roles, improving work life balance and policies, compensation, benefits, etc.

Principal Systems Engineers

Systems Engineering

If you want a voice as an engineer, do not work at Raytheon. Very much still a good old boys club and the women that move up, suck up.

Maybe. Depends on the position

I work at a wholly-owned subsidiary of Raytheon. Acquisition by Raytheon has had a negative impact on our overall benefits, but work-life balance can be very good, if you hold your boundaries well. There are relatively few technical women but that hasn't been a particular source of problems in my personal experience.

Maybe. maternity leave is weak; benefits are getting worse

Senior Engineer

Whole Life Engineering

I was very lucky to be in a very supportive group where I was able to learn and grow. Further, my supervisors were very supportive of giving me challenging assignments, and seemed to be really flexible with me as long as I got the work done well. The down side for the industry as a whole is that it is very old school, and very much an old boys' network, this can make it very hard to be taken seriously.

Maybe. The upside is they were very good about being flexible with me working from home. The company is very old-school, very "old boys' club".

Senior Financial Analyst

It's solid company to work for as a women.

Senior Scientist

Women are a minority of the technical staff (which is the majority of people). The number of women varies by department. The company is making a effort to investigate whether women are treated fairly, and to improve subtle things that are a problem for women, but it's not totally perfect. Work/life balance is good, and you can fairly easily go back and forth between part-time and full-time. You will still occasionally run into ridiculous incidents of sexism, but it's not common and generally not conscious.

Admin

Meeting and working with very talented people. Long term employee who has seen lots of changes over time. Benefits have gotten worse over time and perks greatly reduced but overall it's a good company to work for.

I've worked here for about five years. The company talks about promoting and empowering women, but the management structure is increasingly male dominated. I have found supportive female confidantes and mentors, but felt a lot of pressure to return early from maternity leave in order to not be "mommy-tracked" - which I did, and deeply regret. I also have detected that males tend to out earn females and don't seem to work as hard to prove themselves. Coming back from maternity leave was tough. They have "mothering rooms" to pump, but these are overrun to the point that I called HR to complain that after 7 hours of waiting, I was going to use a public restroom to pump (which is illegal). Days later I received a voicemail from HR informing me of the overrun mothering rooms...sigh. It's hard to build a network with the boys club feel sometimes, so I just do my best. Raytheon does offer flexible scheduling, but works its employees very hard and expects a level of performance that generally cannot be accomplished inside of a normal work week.

Maybe. It's fine if you don't have a family and have a thick skin.

It's a large company, so it's entirely dependent upon where you are and what you're doing; engineering is a challenge, it's a union manufacturing house, and still is pretty stuck in 70's in that regard.

Maybe. depends on position and ambition

Good bennies, flexible schedule. Poor pay