Raytheon Company

3.1

Madam imthatgirl

Admin

Meeting and working with very talented people. Long term employee who has seen lots of changes over time. Benefits have gotten worse over time and perks greatly reduced but overall it's a good company to work for.

Lady francophile

I've worked here for about five years. The company talks about promoting and empowering women, but the management structure is increasingly male dominated. I have found supportive female confidantes and mentors, but felt a lot of pressure to return early from maternity leave in order to not be "mommy-tracked" - which I did, and deeply regret. I also have detected that males tend to out earn females and don't seem to work as hard to prove themselves. Coming back from maternity leave was tough. They have "mothering rooms" to pump, but these are overrun to the point that I called HR to complain that after 7 hours of waiting, I was going to use a public restroom to pump (which is illegal). Days later I received a voicemail from HR informing me of the overrun mothering rooms...sigh. It's hard to build a network with the boys club feel sometimes, so I just do my best. Raytheon does offer flexible scheduling, but works its employees very hard and expects a level of performance that generally cannot be accomplished inside of a normal work week.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

It's fine if you don't have a family and have a thick skin.

Lady oldgeek

It's a large company, so it's entirely dependent upon where you are and what you're doing; engineering is a challenge, it's a union manufacturing house, and still is pretty stuck in 70's in that regard.

• Recent Bonus (USD)

depends on position and ambition

Lady Kashi

Good bennies, flexible schedule. Poor pay

Lady WhiteUnicorn

Systems Engineer II

Systems Engineering

Most women who worked at my site (Fullerton, CA) were in support roles, such as Administrative Assistants or Configuration Management. It's very much an old boys club and sexual harassment is an unreported problem. Most women tolerate it because the HR Department was so ineffective and because of the rampant nepotism, no reporting was anonymous and retaliation would ensue. The only time you are listened to is if you are showing off a visible rack. I was not promoted until a friend (who was in a support role and had visibly huge breasts) told my manager it wasn't fair that I was passed up in favor for a guy who didn't work as hard and was not there as long as I was. My boss (a married man) had a crush on her and decided to please her by promoting me. It's hardly a meritocracy. When I worked there, I was a single woman with no children, so I can't speak about motherhood there. There were women who had kids and worked there as engineers, but their husbands also worked at the site and their husbands' employment acceptance was contingent on their wives also getting a job there. Lots and lots of nepotism, everyone there was someone's kid, mother, father, wife, husband, etc. If your family member works there and has worked there for 15-20 years, you will be ok, otherwise, you will be battling the "in" crowd as much as being a woman in engineering. I cannot say if this is a problem at other sites, just that it was a problem at the Fullerton, CA site. I know women engineers who work at the El Segundo, CA site and seem to enjoy it.