Schlumberger www.slb.com

Want to be alerted when there are new data and reviews about Schlumberger?

The company offers many interesting, demanding and rewarding jobs at the forefront of the industry, but still has some potential on work-life-balance for parents. I think we need to contribute to improve the company culture to be more female friendly - or the company will loose the best candidates

Please note: Length of maternity leave subject to local governmental regulations overruling company policies. Maternity leaves worked fine, but more challenging to return to work as not family friendly. I can easily work 50-60 hours per week with some flexibility on when I work (for instance early mornings or weekends). I can't work 4pm-6pm due to pick-up from child care and family dinner. This was respected by local management, but not by international management.
marketer Editor, Digital Marketing Services

The benefits and materntiy leave benefits are really great. However, SLB is a giant, slow-moving corporate machine. Nothing happens quickly and everyone seems to be stuck doing things how they've always been done. In my department, great suggestions were regularly shot down, but it seemed like they liked to give you hope that it could work and it would just take months for them to finally (officially) shoot your idea down.

There was just a level of drudgery. The work was always exactly the same and there was almost no such thing as moving up. There's was nowhere to move within my department, and my role in marketing communications didn't lend itself to accepting roles outside of the marketing department.
victory

Company has introduced a global policy that aims at increasing gender diversity in its male-dominated workforce. Although not comparable to tech companies like Google, better maternity leave policy than most other engineering companies in the USA.

Schlumberger is a great company to start your career. They will train and challenge you. The company is also demanding in terms of hours and commitment. There is low job security due to the cyclicality of the Oilfield industry resulting in layoffs.

I have worked for SLB for the last 13 years, straight out of Undergrad. It was a great first employer that helped me to grow and challenge myself. It is a company in a male dominated environment with cyclical crises in the Oilfield industry requiring major layoffs. The culture is demanding in terms of hours, with a requirement of mobility and international assignments to move upward. There is very little room for accepting mistakes and it is commonly said internally that you are only as good as your last successful assignment.
Lady anon821 Procurement Administrator, Procurement

It was a male oriented field

Lady Anonymous24

Not friendly if you have a family.

Very long hours. Not flexible.

Great diversity of gender and race - it seems like people who are qualified and work hard will get promoted regardless of gender. However, there aren't as many senior managers who are women - still, considering the gap between men and women in graduating with engineering BAs and PhDs, SLB does a great job of getting women in the door.

Lady DF

I've been the only woman working in a department or one of two for my entire career. As such, navigating maternity leave was somewhat difficult since there aren't many precedents. I wasn't given any issues with it, and was very much welcome back and gained responsibility afterwards. There are not many women in the upper echelons, though there is a drive to build more gender balance.

Madam levanter

Very few women in key decision-making roles. I stayed long in the company to try and change that. Eventually, I had to leave because of the geography requirement of my SO.

Lady desgee

After working for 10 years, i found that work life balance in this company depends more on bosses than on the company policies. if you are lucky to have a good management, the company rocks! you need lot of networking to go ahead in career at schlumberger.

only if it is office job or in research centers

Women Review Schlumberger for Culture, Pay and Gender Equality | Fairygodboss

Free, anonymous reviews of Schlumberger by female employees, including pay, hours, maternity leave, flextime, and company culture

3.8 stars, based on 13 reviews Company Website anon2483 marketer victory anon1576 Lady anon821 Lady Anonymous24 Lady anon589 Lady DF Madam levanter Lady desgee