Sears Holdings Corporation

2.7

Ecommmktggirl

There are a lot of opportunities to learn different job skills and even transfer to a different role outside of what you came in as. There is also a lot expectations that you will be available at anytime of the day. But also be aware there is still very much a “boys club” culture ingrained here.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Maybe. There are a lot of opportunities to learn different job skills and even transfer to a different role outside of what you came in as. There is also a lot expectations that you will be available at anytime of the day.

Bonniegirl

Don't be shy about advising your leaders about your accomplishments. Everyone is very time-crunched, so leaders are not always aware when their people score a big win. Be your own best advocate and you'll do well.

The company complies with local laws, so your flexibility may depend on where you live. Best case is to have a manager who is willing to empower team members to set their own hours. I've seen this work successfully in a few different departments.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

Be more transparent in communication. Don't hide the truth simply because you have a difficult message.

Flexibility for working mothers depends entirely on your department manager -- some are very understanding, others extremely deaf

Department Manager

Retail

Everyone wants to be noticed and rewarded for their hard work but don't let it consume you. Leave work at work even though sometimes they make it hard.

GoldenGopher98

Good compensation. Very high health insurance costs. No 401K match. Negotiate your salary during your onboarding; raises are rare.

Maternity leave is between 6-8 weeks.

• Family Friendly Aspects?

The company is going through major difficulties. If you are looking for great experience for your resume, then consider the opportunity. If you are looking for stability, then consider another opportunity.

BossLady900

Associate

Automotive

Again, if you're not willing to fight (mostly bigoted customer, and the occasional technician) this isn't the job for you. You don't have to know alot about cars to start as SHC has a wonderful training program. It takes a certain skill in sales as well. There isn't a lot of communication between corporate and the store, so at times, it can be frustrating trying to explain things to customers that you don't fully understand yourself. I do really enjoy this job, but the company itself could be better.

Maybe. Working in the Automotive industry is as difficult as it is rewarding. It takes a strong woman that is willing to fight to be respected and believed. Sears does a good job of softening the hardships by having a decent hr support system. It takes a certain courage to be in this job.

Lady Sheep

Women and Men are treated rather equally, however the head of department is extremely demanding

Store Manager

Field

I worked my way up in this company from a cashier to a store manager of a Kmart. I took maternity leave 2 years ago, with a C-section, so I received 8 weeks paid. If I hadn't had a C-section, I would have received 6 weeks. There are not a lot of other women in my position in this area, although I think there are throughout the country. However, another step up (district manager) there are hardly any women whatsoever, and when you take another step up (regional manager) there are none. Upper management just seems to be very male dominated and the culture is too. Women seem to be relegated to certain departments like apparel or human resources, and while these are wholly worthy places to be, we shouldn't be shut out of upper management and other powerful positions.

Lady seras

I've worked here for 3 years and there are a lot of women working here, but predominantly in support roles. Generally I believe they are treated fairly but management is male-dominated and not diverse, which makes it tougher for women to "network" with them. Mid-level women don't seem to advance because of these subtle issues. Also, while maternity leave is generous here I think women are judged harshly by some colleagues and managers for taking the full time.

Lady armymom

i have worked for six years now at this sears store and we have been through seven managers . the company expects way to much and does not help us to succeed they set us up to fail. when we tell them we need help they say we have to many store we cant help you . and when my mom died three years ago the store manager asked me if i could fly to NY and come back in three days in other words can i do it in a weekend and be back on monday . told him no.....