Sears Holdings Corporation

2.6

"I've had an overall good experience here as a woman, but it's still a big corporation so there are strides that need to be made."
One thing Sears Holdings Corporation can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Merchandise manager, Retail
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"There have been a lot of women in pivotal positions, but not lately. Also given the climate of the company I wouldn't necessarily recommend starting here."
"This is an ok place for mid level management for women. If you want to rise up above that, you must be able to play extensively intense politics and give up all work life balance."
One thing Sears Holdings Corporation can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
"Some roles have good flexibility. Not all."
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"If you want entry level experience, you will certainly get it here."
"Senior management in this company is growing for women. Sears is making big changes and women are being allowed to step up. "
One thing Sears Holdings Corporation can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Team Manager, Operations
"Laying proper expectations out for team management would be a great start. Knowing what our goals are would make it easier to plan for time off. "
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"There are a lot of opportunities to learn different job skills and even transfer to a different role outside of what you came in as. There is also a lot expectations that you will be available at anytime of the day. But also be aware there is still very much a “boys club” culture ingrained here."
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"There are a lot of opportunities to learn different job skills and even transfer to a different role outside of what you came in as. There is also a lot expectations that you will be available at anytime of the day."
"Don't be shy about advising your leaders about your accomplishments. Everyone is very time-crunched, so leaders are not always aware when their people score a big win. Be your own best advocate and you'll do well."
One thing Sears Holdings Corporation can improve?
"Be more transparent in communication. Don't hide the truth simply because you have a difficult message."
"The company complies with local laws, so your flexibility may depend on where you live. Best case is to have a manager who is willing to empower team members to set their own hours. I've seen this work successfully in a few different departments."
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"Flexibility for working mothers depends entirely on your department manager -- some are very understanding, others extremely deaf"
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"Everyone wants to be noticed and rewarded for their hard work but don't let it consume you. Leave work at work even though sometimes they make it hard. "
Department Manager, Retail
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"Good compensation. Very high health insurance costs. No 401K match. Negotiate your salary during your onboarding; raises are rare."
One thing Sears Holdings Corporation can improve?
"The company is going through major difficulties. If you are looking for great experience for your resume, then consider the opportunity. If you are looking for stability, then consider another opportunity. "
"Maternity leave is between 6-8 weeks."
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"Again, if you're not willing to fight (mostly bigoted customer, and the occasional technician) this isn't the job for you. You don't have to know alot about cars to start as SHC has a wonderful training program. It takes a certain skill in sales as well. There isn't a lot of communication between corporate and the store, so at times, it can be frustrating trying to explain things to customers that you don't fully understand yourself. I do really enjoy this job, but the company itself could be better."
One thing Sears Holdings Corporation can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit facetime)"
Associate, Automotive
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"Working in the Automotive industry is as difficult as it is rewarding. It takes a strong woman that is willing to fight to be respected and believed. Sears does a good job of softening the hardships by having a decent hr support system. It takes a certain courage to be in this job."
"Women and Men are treated rather equally, however the head of department is extremely demanding"
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"I worked my way up in this company from a cashier to a store manager of a Kmart. I took maternity leave 2 years ago, with a C-section, so I received 8 weeks paid. If I hadn't had a C-section, I would have received 6 weeks. There are not a lot of other women in my position in this area, although I think there are throughout the country. However, another step up (district manager) there are hardly any women whatsoever, and when you take another step up (regional manager) there are none. Upper management just seems to be very male dominated and the culture is too. Women seem to be relegated to certain departments like apparel or human resources, and while these are wholly worthy places to be, we shouldn't be shut out of upper management and other powerful positions."
Store Manager, Field
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"I've worked here for 3 years and there are a lot of women working here, but predominantly in support roles. Generally I believe they are treated fairly but management is male-dominated and not diverse, which makes it tougher for women to "network" with them. Mid-level women don't seem to advance because of these subtle issues. Also, while maternity leave is generous here I think women are judged harshly by some colleagues and managers for taking the full time."
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"i have worked for six years now at this sears store and we have been through seven managers . the company expects way to much and does not help us to succeed they set us up to fail. when we tell them we need help they say we have to many store we cant help you . and when my mom died three years ago the store manager asked me if i could fly to NY and come back in three days in other words can i do it in a weekend and be back on monday . told him no....."
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"I have worked here for almost 7 years and have seen upper level management come and go. The ones that are currently in the role are women yet have no understanding for working mothers and family commitments. My maternity leave was majority paid but came back to chaos with no one to support my advisers."
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"Love the people I work with but not the way in which we are treated."
"Whether male or female, all start at minimum wage"
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"OneIf they want to be a sales woman they should exspect the guys to be favored over them. I have been working at Sears for more than a year now and many times have I been treated differently than the boys. One being that I am always the one to ask to clean the department other than any of the guys. Especially durran football season when all the guys are in the electronic department."
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"It depends on what department. The MCAs and cashier girls are treated much better than the sales girls (at least in my store) that's how it is."
"the attendance policy sucks they care less about you and your family just come make money for sears and they mandate overtime when its not even needed"
"N/a"
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"Management at least at my location was mainly female led. The company as a whole focuses too much on credit and pushes the cashiers to nearly unattainable goals. I saw many good cashiers that went above and beyond for the customer get fired because they could not make the credit goal. Overall I feel they treat females equally but the companies mission is messed up. They want everyone to focus on the customers experience but also push a credit card so hard it is off putting for many people."
Cashier, N/A
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"Its not a bad place to work but the company sucks in the common sense department."
"Its a great first job but it isn't a good one to stay in forever unless you actually love people. Most of the workers are women especially in the clothing areas but I absolutely hate the Men's department cause I get hit on repeatedly by creepy old enough to be my father type customers."
"n/a"
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"In my store it is a predominately female management staff except for our General Store Manager. Where as some of the guys that are older and have been there for a few years seem to think they run the show, we on the management staff hold our own. I have used the Maternity before I was able to move up into a management position. I decided to only take 6 of the 12 weeks that was offered because that is all I could afford to take. Other than the few perverted customers that have come through overall the female staff is treated fairly and receive the same attention as the males. When the perverted customers come in the store manager and LP are the first ones to come running. Maybe I got lucky and have a great group of guys in our store, but I like working there. Otherwise I wouldn't have started three years ago and have grown with the company."
FJ/CAC Lead, N/A
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"this is a boys club you can get ahead if you relocate repeatedly during your career here that is the only way to advance at all also men are hired at or above experienced females wages if you are female and not cut throat or willing to relocate repeatedly you will get "stuck" with zero advancement and lower raises than men just had a new hire male come in at what Im making after 16 yrs here which is typical"
warehouse lead, logistics
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"Pay is terrible, not enough training to do your job correctly,"
Receiving team member, Backroom
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"I think it is a great company to work for! I've been here almost 4 months and my time here so far is very enjoyable. When I leave work I never leave having a bad day it's typically the same day every day, but I like it none the less."
"na"
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"While the company itself is somewhat in shambles, they do treat women and men very equally. You see many women in leadership roles, and these are women of all races."
Would you recommend Sears Holdings Corporation to other women?
"I have worked for SHC for three years in both the Hoffman Estates and San Francisco offices. The culture is quite poor and is detrimental to one's ability to enjoy working there. Virtually the entire leadership team is comprised of men. Almost 100% of the female leaders have left in the last 18 months. In backfilling these positions, one woman was hired as compared to over a dozen men. Female mentorship is nearly impossible to find. In general, mentorship is not highly valued anyway (male or female)."