Startup Leadership Program

startupleadership.com/

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at Startup Leadership Program to join us.

Blue Ridge Partners Management Consulting, LLC Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Be cautious and go into this company with eyes wide open. A lot of the work is extremely interesting, and the shorter nature of most engagements means you'll get a lot of experience, fast! Most of your coworkers will also be very friendly and collaborative. I have generally had a very positive experience in that sense, and I have grown substantially as a consultant. It is particularly notable that a small firm like Blue Ridge would have such a strong training and performance management program - we have an abundance of online and in-person courses, and most are top-notch. However, it's probably not a coincidence that our leadership team (managing directors and principals) is very white and male, with only 1 female. Working from home can offer great flexibility that would appeal to women in theory, but perhaps because we play in the PE space, the work, hours, and travel are much less predictable than they might be at a bigger consulting firm. Keep in mind that most of the senior men have stay-at-home spouses, which may explain why they don't seem to make an effort to make projects more predictable. I don't know that there's discrimination per se (women are supported and do get promoted at similar rates to men), but I also don't think there's any particular sense of urgency to increase diversity. The topic of maternity leave comes up over and over, and the partners seem to brush it aside. As of now, there is no company-paid leave, which is disappointing and also makes our company very uncompetitive benefits-wise in the world of consulting. And if you decide to get out and join a bigger consulting firm with better benefits? Prepare for an uphill battle. We have a very vague non-compete agreement, which - despite its in enforceability in virtually any jurisdiction - the powers that be may use to intimidate you into staying and/or not taking a new role. Don't take the bait - hire a lawyer to draft a release agreement and move on gracefully. It'll be money well spent.

Since we don't have offices, there can be flexibility when you're working from home (e.g., can drop off/pick up kids, can do a doctor's appointment/errand during the day). However, I've ended up traveling A LOT more than I was told I would (almost every week) and it's very unpredictable - I usually don't know where/if I'm traveling until less than a week in advance. This can be quite stressful, and makes it hard to plan.

There isn't any paid maternity leave, unless you count partially-paid disability. However, there is fairly generous unpaid leave. One woman I know took 6 months.

Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

November 2016

Good company but still slow on diversity with women. Actually slower to accept others that don't fit a Midwest mold.

BAYADA Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

October 2016

Negotiate and hold firm to you wants and it's a very high goal so negotiate better sales goals for yourself and talk to teammates

Skyhigh Networks Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

September 2016

Run. Our female attrition has hit a high. While the environment isn't blatantly hostile towards women, it's definitely a boys' club and you feel it reflected in the many micro-aggressions and inequities that occur on a weekly basis. Many female staff are ignored, belittled, and not given the same recognition or financial rewards as their male counterparts. Top female talent has left in droves, and it's not limited to one function -- it's across G&A, Marketing, Engineering, etc.

The Texas Tribune Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

The Texas Tribune is a very young organization in terms of staff and evolution. I started a new job there as a new mom of a 3 month old baby. I was very clear about my needs for a place to pump breast milk for my daughter. They were unwilling to accommodate me, and after 2 months of frustration, I decided to leave the job.

United States Department of Justice Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
3.6

Women are treated just as well as men and have every opportunity to advance here in terms of how they are viewed, promoted, and treated. The work itself is endlessly demanding, though, and hard to walk away from even if you have vacation to take. The pay is low relative to other opportunities. There is no paid maternity leave, so women end up using years' worth of vacation and sick time to have babies and never take true sick days or vacation. If you love the work and are okay with close to private-sector hours without private-sector pay, this is an unbelievable jobs for support in your growth and acquiring skills. But it is difficult to manage the workload with young children.

Freedom Mortgage Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Not a work/life family balance. They promote working on the weekends, all the time.

American City Business Journals Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Many women in management-level positions in my office, which is just one of 40-something markets ACBJ publishes in.

Knoxville Public Defender Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

May 2015

Open and honest environment. I love it.

Bel Brands USA Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

May 2015

You can learn a lot here and gain fundamentals. But unless you are French, or even better male and French, it takes a disproportionate amount of work to advance. This is true across departments.