Claim Team Manager

It's still an old boys club environment, regardless of the current restructuring which is eliminating many jobs for both old boys and women. My leadership team is male dominated, lacking diversity. Very few people advance from my department - male or female. It's known as a place where old claims employees go to die. Several women have accepted lower level positions to leave the department. Men have successfully applied for lateral positions in other departments and have advanced from there.

The corporate environment, one that used to to be something to brag about and lead employees to commit to the company for 20-45 years, is a distant memory. They equally discourage men and women, equally.

Agents Office

I have worked here for almost 11 years total. I manage an agency and maintain high sales (usually up to $10K OVER my quota for the month) and also do all the marketing and training of new hires. I currently make $35K a year and receive 3% commission. I also only have two weeks vacation after 11 years. Maternity leave has never been discussed and neither has a raise in vacation time or salary. State Farm corporate is a decent company I'm sure but working for agents is a nightmare and corporate could care less.

Claims Adjuster

Automobile

I've been with this company for 10 years. They like to pride themselves on their diversity and worklife/family balance however realistically they are all about the bottom line. Hours and benefits seem reasonable when hired and it is only after you sign the employment contract you are made to understand that weekly overtime is mandatory. It is not uncommon to work until 11:00 PM (get yourself a live in babysitter if you have small children) however your leadership does not. Mid and upper level management is overwhelmingly male while employee percentage is overwhelmingly female. Addressing any grievances is little more than lip service and anyone who doesn't agree with their male dominated metrics driven management style is labeled a "non-team player" and is ushered to the door. This is an appropriate place to work if you are uninterested in a family or social life or career advancement. Its a great stopgap but not a great place to grow.

Receptionist

Be very careful about the agent you work for. Find out about any benefits up front. Also look into the office staff before accepting an offer of employment, for example look up the office staff on social media to see what kind of people you will be working with.