Employee reviews at The Sherwin-Williams Company

The Sherwin-Williams Company

default img
Tell us more for better jobs, advice
and connections
your interests
Your feed isn’t personalized yet. Follow topics like career advice, lifestyle or health.
companies you follow
companiesBoxImage
Get alerted when there are new employee reviews.
YOUR JOB ALERTS
Get notified when new jobs are posted.
"There is a lot of room for growth within the company. "
One thing The Sherwin-Williams Company can improve?
"Not much; it's a great place to work"
Policies, Culture, Hours

Want to

"Its a man dominated industry but SW does a good job at promoting women within the company."
One thing The Sherwin-Williams Company can improve?
"Improve my benefits (e.g. medical, maternity)"

Want to

"Ask for more basically in terms of higher pay and opportunities for promotion."
Marketing Associate, Marketing

Want to

"The opportunity to succeed is there you just need to see past the initial start. "

Want to

"We are very understanding with family emergencies - I've had to leave in the middle of the day a number of times to pick up a sick kid and have never had a problem. They will also work with you in the technical group to take you off "the bench" in the lab when you are pregnant to minimize your exposure to chemicals."
One thing The Sherwin-Williams Company can improve?
"Improve work-life balance and policies (e.g. flex-time, limit face time)"
Manager, Compliance
"My department is very traditional in terms of hours - I don't really have the flexibility to adjust my hours beyond the standard 8 - 5 window. I would like to see more opportunities to work from home."
Policies, Culture
7 Weeks Paid | 0 Weeks Unpaid
"I believe we also offer paid paternity and paid adoption leave."

Want to

"Great Company to work for. They put women involvement. Have several meeting a year with our Women's Group, and during annual meeting ."
Store Manager, Sales

Want to

"I've been working for this company for about 2 years now and I can say that it is definitely a male dominated environment. 90% of the sexual discrimination comes from painters, contractors and homeowners. It is also a harsh place to work when you're 5'1" because for me I have to use the ladder to get product from the second shelf all the time. I don't get any sexual discrimination from my coworkers, but thats because my store is the only one in my area that has 3 women and 1 man working. The best way to deal with discrimination from customers is being tactful when talking to them. If a customer asks for a male employee my usual response is, "We do have one, but I can help you with whatever it is you need." This usually works and if they have a strange question, "Let me look into that" is my response. It's like throwing shade, but more professional. Women are also apparently the only ones "really good with color", but we all know that isn't necessarily true."

Want to

"I've worked here for a little over a year. It is a mainly male-dominated industry but I feel the women that work at SW are treated fairly. Management roles are attainable and we aren't limited by our gender. (I will edit this later if possible.)"

Want to

"Great company. Some management very immature and need a refresher course on HR policy."
Rep

Want to

"Though the job is physically demanding, I really enjoy my job most days. You never know how each day will play out, so it's not a dull job. You have to have a good eye for color, able to problem solve, and able to lift and carry heavy materials. Must be resilient against male chauvinism. It's a male dominated industry, so women get treated like they are just decorators and aren't able to assist with product related questions. Bonus structure is nice and base salary is generous. Benefits are great all around and the company will match up to 6% of 401k investments with company stock. Biggest con is the physical aspect of the jo. The amount of lifting and carrying, standing and walking is really hard on the joints and back."
Manager, Paint store's group
10 Weeks Paid | 28 Weeks Unpaid

Want to

"I WORKED FOR TEN YEARS, AND SAW SEVERAL NEW EMPLOYEES (MEN) HIRED AT 50 cents an hour less than i was earning. They had no experience but hired with nearly the same rate of pay."
FULL TIME CLERK, PAINT STORE

Want to

"They are working to bring as many women in as fast as possible. But there is still the good old boy system with man who are not sure about all the women yet."
6 Weeks Paid | 6 Weeks Unpaid

Want to

"There are industry stereotypes you must overcome being a woman. Once you've earned the respect of your customers, it's smooth sailing. The first year can be tough. You will benefit from having or most certainly will develop thick skin. There is sexism running rampant, but if you choose this career path, the opportunities are amazing. Just be prepared...."

"i"
IT

Want to

"I've worked here for awhile, it is a good company."

Want to

"The first 1-2 years you will be doing a lot of manual labor. As you move up in the company you will do less. Sherwin also has many leadership opportunities for those who want to lead. And the company also has a Women's Networking Group, there women network at all levels within the company. The Company is still predominately men (it being construction based) but don't let that hinder you from trying it out, if you are willing to put in the work... The sky is the limit."

Want to

"To be fair, most of the overt sexism that female employees face at S-W comes from customers, and the company can't necessarily help that. It is unfortunately inevitable that any woman in a position dealing with the public will receive unwanted attention from customers, but when your customer base is mostly made up of the male-dominated field of painters, it is a much worse problem. While there are HR videos and official policies about supporting employees who feel they're being sexually harassed by customers, those ideas are not typically implemented. If you mention that a particular customer makes you uncomfortable because he keeps asking you to do stuff with him (everything from just hanging out and getting a nice dinner to getting drunk and doing drugs) even though you say NO each time, some of your male co-workers may roll their eyes at your "sensitivity" and/or ask why you don't take it as a compliment. Don't get me wrong, some of the guys really mean well, but they often don't understand when a line is being crossed because most of them don't know what it's like to be in that kind of situation. Everything is about making the sale in this company, so there isn't very good training and emphasis on standing up to customers who harass employees (it's the flaw in the "The customer is always right" philosophy). Also, you may often have to work alone, and that's when dealing with the creeps gets even creepier. Inappropriate customer attentions can't be eliminated, but it would be a lot better if the company culture was less permissive (for instance, if it was common management practice to gently suggest that a customer leave an employee alone). There is a lot of heavy lifting in this job (even when you're in management), but that's okay as long as you're prepared for that. Sometimes male co-workers may get competitive with how much paint they carry and how fast they move it (and how many five gallon buckets they'll climb on instead of getting a ladder). That can make you feel pressured to try to keep up, but as long as you put a good effort in and keep doing things safely, it'll be okay. A male and female employee using safe practices should be equally productive (obviously it's given that productivity will vary on an individual basis). Beyond the sexual harassment problem, many customers honestly believe that women know less about paint. Some customers will ask for a male employee rather than talk to you about their questions, even when you may be better qualified to answer them. I consider it a victory when some customers ask me their questions, because some guys take a while to trust new employees (and "new" to some of them is anyone who hasn't been in the paint business for 10 or 20 years), but there are some customers who've known me for a couple years now but will ask for the guy who just started last week. Sometimes they try to be subtle or polite about it, but sometimes they blatantly ask for "one of the guys." On the other hand, many customers, both DIY and professional, openly state that they prefer asking female employees about colors. There is a company initiative to hire and promote more female employees. Honestly, though, I sometimes feel that many upper level managers view that as a box to check. Many of the "veteran" employees will tell you that there were virtually no female employees ten to fifteen years ago, and now there is at least one in most stores (still a distinct minority). I think they try to hire as many women as men, at least in the management training program, but I've noticed that among management trainees hired, more women than men have negative experiences and therefore more women than men leave as soon as they can find another job. I know very few women still working for S-W in their 30s, and even fewer with families. I don't have children yet, but I can't imagine trying to work a store manager's hours if I had little ones. The bottom line is this: the initiate to have more female representation in this company will not truly be successful until the environment changes."
Assistant Store Manager

Want to

"Overall it is a great company to work for if you are willing to work hard and be dedicated. Advancement is becoming easier and they have set up programs of support specifically for women and at least try to put forth helpful support for women with mentors. It gets more cutthroat between other women who work there than with the men. Except with pay. I have worked there 3.5 years and a guy who started 9 months ago makes as much as I do. So there is a struggle with that. They treat women fairly in the aspect of not giving special treatment to them. You are informed of what the job duties are from the start and are expected to be able to do them if you accept that. It's hard work but it's rewarding. They have great benefits even for part timers."

Want to

"Executive and management across all business units is male dominated. The culture is traditional/conservative and change is slow to occur. You can be successful, but the opportunities are limited and there is not a lot of turnover at the company."
Manager, IT
6 Weeks Paid | 6 Weeks Unpaid

Want to

"I've worked here for 3 years and make the rate that interns are hired at. 10.50$ Per hour. Although I am very greatful for my healthcare and 401k benefits, it is definitely a 'boy's club'. Also the harassment from your customers can be a bit overwhelming."