Sales Associate

Walt Disney World

I've worked for the Disney Company 4 separate times. First time as a housekeeper, then a merchandiser (both of these I was in the college program), a Graphic Design intern, lastly as a sales associate for the Disney store. My first time as a housekeeper, I would have told my self, "Do NOT pick this job!" Disney failed to mention they expect you to clean 16 rooms in an 8 hour day. Too much work to me but if you think it's worth $8.50 an hour to haul around a 50 pound "cart" then maybe you'll be better at housekeeping for Disney. The next time when I was a merchandiser I enjoyed myself so much more and made lifelong friends. I would advise women, don’t pick your favorite park to work at if you’re asked what’s your favorite park. The more popular the park the harder you will work. As an intern, I would advise you to always have a backup plan in case Disney does not decide to hire you on a full time basis. I.E. in case you’ve only been there for 6 months, now you need to break your lease at your apartment, figure out home to get home and find a new job. Lastly, as a sales associate, do not except working in a Disney store is anything like working in Disney World. The stores are way more sales driven and far less “just have fun with the guests” driven. I hope this advice helps.

Maybe. To work for the Disney company you really need to be able to smile through anything, and I do mean ANYTHING.

The people I work with are great. Upper Management is not very good at listening to suggested improvements, although they are constantly asking for ideas. Men are treated better overall, to be frank. I've never had an need with maternity leave but my female colleagues say the company is very generous to those who have had a need.

Maybe. It depends on who your contacts are within the company.

It's a very polite culture and nothing gets done with a lot of collaboration and buy off by a lot of different departments. That being said, there are many women in high-level positions In fact, throughout my five years there, most of my Managers, Directors and VPs have been women.

Maybe. If you are OK with working 10-14 hours a day in order to keep up with the workload, you'll be fine.

High expectations, must be flexible

Park Greeter

Landing a coveted full time position may lead to decent benefits, but thousands are left without.

Maybe. Low wages and fierce competition mean higher jobs with benefits are difficult to obtain.

I am new to the company.