U.S. Government Accountability Office

www.gao.gov/

Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at U.S. Government Accountability Office to join us.

McKesson Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

30 percent of the executives are women, yes, but that number dwindles significantly when you view middle management

Ogilvy & Mather Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
3.8

Hours can be long depending on your client team and the management structure of that team.

Briggs Equipment, Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

dont join this company. I would also tell male employers the same.

no career progression

Allscripts Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

There is only 6 weeks paid time off for maternity leave but they do let you come back using a flex schedule

Longstreth Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

The PTO is extremely limited. I do not yet know what maternity leave will be like but I would have to assume it is unpaid.

Mars Incorporated Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
4.8

This has been a great company to work for. There are as many women in management as there are men in my segment. The maternity benefits are top notch as are the other benefits. Women are encouraged to take advantage of the work life balance they encourage and from what I have seen it doesn't impact career trajectory.

McGladrey Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Pretty even and fair for male and females from Associate to Supervisor level. While it is offered and bragged about, women who use flex time are looked down upon. It was uncommon for female employees to have children before they reached the manager level; once at that level they don't move up. Director and Partner level is predominantly male.

Henderson County, North Carolina Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

This is a county based EMS (emergency medical service) and you would expect some protection working for a government entity. Think again! I was 29, married and ready to expand my family. My husband and I sat down with our finances and my medical records and decided we wanted to start to try for a baby. I saw all of my doctors the following weeks to prepare them and myself for pregnancy. I contact my health insurance company to find out how much in deductible and co-insurance we would owe. We waited an additional month to mull over the idea of becoming parents. Then we tried, and bam, first try! I was pregnant. I am a county paramedic with heavy lifting, stressful situations, and possible physical danger. Other women where I work were able to get whatever accommodations they had asked for in the past, however, we now had a new boss. I was a high risk pregnancy from the start because of some medical conditions. Little did I know that after I went off the truck (ambulance) and into light duty (safe desk job), I would only get 4 weeks. Despite the 8 ft high by 12 ft across stack of boxes that needed to be sorted, I was told there was no more light duty left for me and sent home and told to consider the 4 weeks a gift since I was originally going to be given 3 weeks. I went off the ambulance at 23 weeks and I left work altogether at 27 weeks. I had only requested a total of 12 weeks of light duty and I knew there was plenty to be done. I was denied the additional 8 weeks, and told that my FMLA will run out shortly after the baby gets here and I may lose my job all together. Additionally, if I wanted to keep my job, I better get back to work as soon as possible to not "force" them into replacing me. This was their accommodation to me. I ended up very sick and in the ICU after my pregnancy. I feel the added stress of possibly losing my job played a roll in my seriously bad pregnancy. Although my husband and I consulted everyone we could think of before trying to get pregnant, apparently we forgot to ask my boss if it was a good time for him. I foolishly assumed since the other women had accommodations, I would too. I was wrong. We consulted 2 attorneys who basically said in North Carolina it is a right to hire/right to fire state and they can do whatever they want. After my son was born 5 weeks premature and in the NICU and the doctors and nurses had heroically saved my life, I decided to forget putting my company first and run the risk of losing my job and stay out the full 3 months for a total of 20 weeks without pay, a serious financial blow to my family with a new baby. I had now taken the "full" 12 weeks other women had (under FMLA) with my newborn before placing him in daycare, though thankfully my parents helped out and daycare was not often needed. I eventually went part time there, and now a full time mom, but that is only because we can afford to do that with my husbands salary now. I am a lucky person to be able to do that. Some are not so lucky and I feel their pain.

One Acre Fund Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

This is a medium NGO that tries very hard to create fair and generous benefits. It's one of the few NGO's that does offer 3 months paid maternity and paternity leave. While I didn't have the greatest maternity experience its because I didn't know what all I should ask for. Now that I've learned I should pay as much attention to leave policies as I do to career progression I would change how I structured my maternity leave and prepared for leave. There are only a few women at the company that have gone through it so I would lean on them for support and advice. Everyone is encouraged to take the full maternity and there are no obvious biases for those that take leave - but navigating the transition is still complex so learning from others is the best way to adjust. The work culture is very intense so it's hard to make the transition from workaholic to motherhood appropriately but the organization is taking steps to create a better work-life balance. Generally - I am happy with my work and the organization - particularly they willingness to listen to feedback, improve and become a great place for working mothers (even if it wasn't perfect in the beginning!)

CannonDesign Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

I've worked here for two years and I really like the company for the most part. There is not complete equality in the makeup of the staff, men still outnumber women at least 2 to 1, especially in Engineering, but they seem to make an effort to give women a chance and provide a safe, happy environment. There is a woman on the board and numerous women in high profile positions. Maternity leave is basically just short term disability plus whatever PTO you have saved up, there is no additional maternity paid time offered by the company itself. However, they have been good, at least in my office, about providing space for breastfeeding mothers and making accommodations for new parents. Flex time is sometimes available as is some working from home. Lots of young families and both men and women take time off to spend with their kids.