Our members add new reviews every day. Invite someone who's worked at Valley Youth House to join us.

Centrify Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

May 2018

Make sure your manager empowers women. Not all the female leadership at the company has the same priorities as working mothers might. The work-life balance is great, and ability to WFH is fantastic, but I made sure that was part of my contract when I started. There is NO maternity or paternity leave, which is frustrating given the overall family-friendly nature of this company.

Very flex work environment and families ARE prioritized (i.e. you're not expected to stay until 6pm regularly), but also is manager-dependent. When Centrify was very small, the top-down culture was always very family friendly. The CEO is a good example of someone who leaves to go to his kids' sports games for example, rather than missing it to have face time in the office.

There is no Centrify paid leave, though you get what CA entitles you to and some additional amount by Cigna, though it never reaches 100% of salary. I used CA leave + PTO + unpaid leave to get to 5 months off.

Lakshmi Vilas Bank Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

March 2018

Its a great place to work, Nothing much to complain about.

Greater Reading Chamber Alliance Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

February 2018

This is a good place to work, get experience and possibly create a great place for yourself.

Bureau of Reclamation Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

It's a wonderful place to work. The work matters and the people make it such a fantastic place to be.

Our Regional Director has fostered a very healthy work-life balance; we're allowed to tele-work (with Management approval); management strives very hard to ensure that we are trained, and problems are identified, rectified and resolved very quickly.

CommUnity Care Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

It is not even a stepping stone to further yourself.

Korea Development Bank Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Not recommended if you aspire to grow in your profession. They do have great health insurance.

SecurityScorecard Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

Technology industry is difficult enough as it is for a woman. This company is especially challenging.

Maine Audubon Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

non profit means expectation is give more get less

Not for Pay, Evaluation and Reviews

Freescale Semiconductor Inc. Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)

It's still a boy's club. I have been here 21 years and I'm stuck in a nowhere position even though the company helped pay for my bachelor's. Apply for jobs and never get any of them. My degree has no bearing (a lot of our managers don't have degrees) and a female mentor, who is in management, told me that I would have to leave the company to utilize my skills and degree (what!?).

The Sherwin-Williams Company Women's Job Satisfaction (5=very satisfied)
3.4

To be fair, most of the overt sexism that female employees face at S-W comes from customers, and the company can't necessarily help that. It is unfortunately inevitable that any woman in a position dealing with the public will receive unwanted attention from customers, but when your customer base is mostly made up of the male-dominated field of painters, it is a much worse problem. While there are HR videos and official policies about supporting employees who feel they're being sexually harassed by customers, those ideas are not typically implemented. If you mention that a particular customer makes you uncomfortable because he keeps asking you to do stuff with him (everything from just hanging out and getting a nice dinner to getting drunk and doing drugs) even though you say NO each time, some of your male co-workers may roll their eyes at your "sensitivity" and/or ask why you don't take it as a compliment. Don't get me wrong, some of the guys really mean well, but they often don't understand when a line is being crossed because most of them don't know what it's like to be in that kind of situation. Everything is about making the sale in this company, so there isn't very good training and emphasis on standing up to customers who harass employees (it's the flaw in the "The customer is always right" philosophy). Also, you may often have to work alone, and that's when dealing with the creeps gets even creepier. Inappropriate customer attentions can't be eliminated, but it would be a lot better if the company culture was less permissive (for instance, if it was common management practice to gently suggest that a customer leave an employee alone). There is a lot of heavy lifting in this job (even when you're in management), but that's okay as long as you're prepared for that. Sometimes male co-workers may get competitive with how much paint they carry and how fast they move it (and how many five gallon buckets they'll climb on instead of getting a ladder). That can make you feel pressured to try to keep up, but as long as you put a good effort in and keep doing things safely, it'll be okay. A male and female employee using safe practices should be equally productive (obviously it's given that productivity will vary on an individual basis). Beyond the sexual harassment problem, many customers honestly believe that women know less about paint. Some customers will ask for a male employee rather than talk to you about their questions, even when you may be better qualified to answer them. I consider it a victory when some customers ask me their questions, because some guys take a while to trust new employees (and "new" to some of them is anyone who hasn't been in the paint business for 10 or 20 years), but there are some customers who've known me for a couple years now but will ask for the guy who just started last week. Sometimes they try to be subtle or polite about it, but sometimes they blatantly ask for "one of the guys." On the other hand, many customers, both DIY and professional, openly state that they prefer asking female employees about colors. There is a company initiative to hire and promote more female employees. Honestly, though, I sometimes feel that many upper level managers view that as a box to check. Many of the "veteran" employees will tell you that there were virtually no female employees ten to fifteen years ago, and now there is at least one in most stores (still a distinct minority). I think they try to hire as many women as men, at least in the management training program, but I've noticed that among management trainees hired, more women than men have negative experiences and therefore more women than men leave as soon as they can find another job. I know very few women still working for S-W in their 30s, and even fewer with families. I don't have children yet, but I can't imagine trying to work a store manager's hours if I had little ones. The bottom line is this: the initiate to have more female representation in this company will not truly be successful until the environment changes.