FAIRYGODBOSS CONTRIBUTOR PROGRAM:
DETAILS & GUIDELINES
Thank you for your interest in Fairygodboss’ program for contributing writers! We’re excited that you’re interested in writing for us. Below you’ll find information on how the program/submissions process works, as well as detailed style guidelines. Please read everything carefully to ensure the submissions process goes as smoothly as possible.
Your submissions will be published as articles on our website, which reaches more than 100,000 women each month. Your pieces will also be pushed out through our social media channels (which reach ~50K women in our community each week). You can send us a brief bio (up to three sentences) to be placed at the end of each of your articles.
Details / Terms
- You’ll contribute two articles to us per month. A spreadsheet with article topics will be emailed to all contributors (including you) approximately 10 days before the end of each month, and you’ll have approximately 10 days afterwards to claim two or more topics. Topics will be assigned / claimed on a first-come-first-served basis. Then, you’ll have 20 days to submit your two articles.
- For example, we’ll email a list of topics around Jan. 20. If you claim topics by Feb. 1 and submit your pieces by Feb. 20, they will be published during the month of March.*
- General topics include issues surrounding women in the workplace, maternity leave, career advice, flexible working, and the gender pay gap. We are also interested in publishing personal accounts of your experiences with these topics (for example, “How I Transitioned Back Into Working After Maternity Leave”).
- You may also pitch ideas if there’s something you’re interested in writing about that you don’t see on the spreadsheet.
- We are open to publishing repurposed versions of articles that you’ve already written, as long as they are significantly different from your original (we’ll ask that you send both the original and repurposed version for us to review). If you’re repurposing content, it is crucial that headlines and leads are rewritten.
- If you’d like to repurpose something you write for us to be published elsewhere, we ask you to do the following:
- Wait at least two weeks from when it was published on our site
- Change headline/rewrite lead
- Shorten the article (cut at least 200 words) and link back to the original version on our website
- Let us know if a version of the piece does get published elsewhere
- We reserve the right to modify the articles of yours that we publish so that we can submit/publish them elsewhere through one of our content partnerships.
- While we cannot promise payment to contributors at this time, we’ll reward you if your pieces perform exceptionally well. For any piece of yours that gets 500+ clicks within two weeks of being published, we’ll send you $50 (via PayPal or Venmo).
- Please be sure to share anything of yours that we publish on your own personal social accounts to maximize traffic to your pieces! We encourage you to share Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, by email, and by linking to the articles on your personal blog or website if you have one. It will help if you tag Fairygodboss in your posts so that we can repost/retweet, etc.
- If your articles consistently drive significant traffic to our site, we may offer you a position as a regular staff writer for Fairygodboss (including your own contributor page on our website).
*Note: We plan to publish everything you submit, but we cannot guarantee publication before seeing your submissions. We will edit your words as little as possible, but we reserve the right to change headlines/make edits to your articles so that pieces work more effectively for our readers. Please see our style guidelines below to ensure your work is in line with what works for our audience!
Submissions Process / Style Guidelines
- Articles should be submitted to email@example.com via Google docs.
- Submissions should be approximately 500-900 words and your paragraphs should be short. Please use only one space after periods.
- Articles should be carefully proofread and spellchecked before they are submitted. Please do not submit working drafts!
- Feel free to include links in your article (especially to Fairygodboss articles!) as long as they are relevant to the subject matter and non/promotional.
- Submissions should include:
- 2-3 headline suggestions
- A relevant photo + photo credit
- *Please make sure we have permission to use whatever photo you’re providing and provide photo credits where necessary. You are responsible for obtaining the necessary rights/licenses/permissions for Fairygodboss to use any images/photos you submit. Free photo sources include Pixabay, Unsplash, and StockSnap.
- Brief, engaging preview text (a sentence or two) that sums up/entices reader to click on/read your article. This should be included at the top of your article.
- We want our articles to be smart, witty, and written with a youthful, personable tone (like you’re talking to a friend). Please review the following articles we’ve published to get an idea of the style and tone we are striving for:
- Please fill out this Google form - https://goo.gl/forms/byrtjwQKhWv7Cy3g2
- Email a headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org.