Business Health, Safety and Environment Manager
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
ABB Energy Industries is enabling safe, smart and sustainable projects and operations for businesses across the oil, gas, chemicals, life sciences, power generation and water sectors. Driving integrated solutions that automate, digitalize and electrify industry we connect our people and technology to help our customers adapt and succeed. With over 50 years domain expertise, we continue to innovate and reshape traditional approaches across the energy sector with our technologies designed to improve operational efficiency, reduce risk, reduce energy consumption and waste. Mission Statement: Lead a team of HSE Specialists (in Local Division (or) Local Business Unit, Hub (or) Project) and contribute to improving Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) performance in the respective organization to ensure an exemplary health and safety culture as well as a strong focus on the environment. Support the business by applying in-depth HSE knowledge to offer solutions and advice. Facilitate delivery of support from the Center of Expertise (CoE) and ensure effective risk management through HSE excellence along ABB’s value chain.
- Metrics: Reports HSE incidents. Feeds back on lessons learned and best practice from own unit and across ABB to management and employees. Reports on HSE performance and progress on implementation of ABB Group Sustainability objectives and key performance indicators (KPIs) to ABB Group, as required.
- Regulatory compliance: Implements policies and standards. Ensures area of responsibility is audited according to program for audit. Assists line managers and supervisors in understanding obligations, liability and how to fulfil their roles, according to local HSE law and ABB Group policy, instructions and standards. Supports compliance with human rights, security and crisis management processes.
- Risk management: Facilitates HSE risks assessment by line management involving shop floor employees, i.e. those directly concerned by the hazards, and ensures all processes are implemented.
- Continuous improvement: Drives behavioral change through implementing Group-wide performance improvement programs and practices locally to ensure an exemplary health and safety culture as well as a strong focus on environment throughout the respective organization.
- Communication and engagement: Engages external (e.g. customers, suppliers and other stakeholders) and internal stakeholders in order to report on, raise awareness and gain commitment on ABB's HSE efforts and performance and obtain objective feedback. Cooperates with other functions, the CoE and business partners to drive performance.
- Budget: Participates in defining the annual budget for area of responsibility and is accountable for managing performance against agreed financial targets and constraints.
- Operational support: Ensures appropriate HSE equipment and tools are available and used. Identifies, plans and initiates training need, e.g. for employees, site managers, contractors, site managers, and facilitates delivery of support from the CoE. Drives and ensures compliance with Group management systems.
- Project management: Contributes to and/or plans and executes Health (and/or) Safety (and/or)
- Environment performance and Corporate Responsibility related projects. Develops and reports on project objectives. Manages project resources such as manpower, financials and other relevant factors.
- People leadership and development: Ensures that the area of responsibility is appropriately organized, staffed, skilled and directed. Guides, motivates and develops direct/indirect subordinates within HR policies.
- 10+ years of relevant HSE experience.
- University under grad preferred.
- Canadian registered safety professional or similar Canadian OHS designation.
- Practical application of HSE requirements across electrical and automation systems.
- Retirement plan
- Accident insurance
- Healthcare plan
- Wellbeing program
More about us
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com. For the 8th year in a row, ABB Canada has been recognized as one of Canada’s top employers by Forbes Magazine. Also named as Canada's Top 100 Employers, Montreal's Top Employers, Canada's Top Employers for Young People, Canada’s Greenest Employers and in 2021 Best Candidate Experience Award (CandE Award), ABB's culture and commitment are to provide a caring workplace where everyone collaborates, feels valued, respected, included and supported. Also committed to ensuring that all policies and practices respect the Employment Equity Program, we aim for our workforce to be truly representative of the four designated groups; women, aboriginal people, members of visible minorities, and/or persons with disabilities. ABB will provide reasonable accommodation to the applicant with disabilities and encourage applicants to self-identify in the application process. #LI-hybrid