Internship / Student Worker (m/f/d) Future Industrial Connectivity
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
Looking for a taste of working life in an international, future-focused corporate group? Then join us as an intern (m/f/d) and familiarise yourself with a suitable department for 3 to 6 months. You will be involved in large-scale projects and perform a defined set of duties independently. Use your internship to build a network and become familiar with our company.
- You are interested in the domain of industrial connectivity, especially in network solutions, communication protocols, system integration, or simulation? Would you like to apply your expertise in a challenging and fascinating environment? Then join our team of students and researchers to contribute to the foundations of the next generations of ABB offerings.
- Care to see data bits moving as fast as possible over a 5G Network? Want a glimpse into orchestration of an automation network? We work with cutting edge industrial devices and tools in our lab, and we could use a fresh glimpse and an enthusiastic approach (yours?). Industrial Automation relies on computer networking, and there are many challenges that we address making it faster, more robust (or, even, unbreakable), easier to configure and manage, all are worth tackling. There is information modelling, SW development, real HW testing and many other aspects of your expertise to apply and improve.
- In close collaboration with our research staff team and other students, you will help to design, develop and test software prototypes on such concepts, supporting e.g. the integration of new tools, devices or technologies. Integration of simulated devices is of interest, too e.g., to validate a planned system and seamless exchange of simulated devices with real ones. Moreover, intelligence and self-x aspects (e.g. self-configuration, self-optimizing, self-learning) shall be integrated to achieve higher levels of autonomy in industrial automation systems.
- We expect that you show above-average motivation to develop demonstrators and software prototypes and proactiveness to come up with new concepts and ideas on how to overcome possible challenges
- Study background in communication systems, computer science, engineering or similar knowledge from software engineering and development experience.
- Experience with software development: embedded systems in C/C++, Python, Java etc.
- Knowledge of network protocols (ISO/OSI layers, IP, TCP) and communication technologies (e.g., WSN, Fieldbus, 5G, TSN, WiFi, OPC UA)
- Knowledge/Experience in Network Simulation/Emulation tools is appreciated.
- Highly motivated, team-minded, and able to work independently.
- Fluent English in verbal and written form is required.
More about us
We believe in fairness, so interns who join us will benefit from our expertise as they expand their own knowledge. We give you the scope to try things out for yourself and obtain practical experience. Your time is valuable, so you will receive appropriate remuneration for the duration of the internship. Please note that internships are generally limited to six months, while voluntary internships during a bachelor course are for a maximum of three months. Please state whether you are applying for a voluntary internship or undertaking a mandatory internship, and be sure to enclose your certificate of enrolment. In the case of mandatory internships, please include the corresponding extract from your university’s internship guidelines. Interested? Then we look forward to receiving your informative application (cover letter, CV, certificate of enrolment, current transcript of grades and other supporting documents) through our online careers tool.