Senior Legal Counsel – Middle East (including Corporate Counsel Qatar)
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
You will be working as Senior Legal Counsel – Middle East (including Corporate Counsel Qatar), will be the part of Electrification Business Area for EL Business Area based in Middle East, (mainly UAE, Qatar, Saudi Arabia). In this role you will provide legal support with focus on QA, AE, as well as SA, LE, OM, JO, IQ, KW, PK, BH as required (“the Middle East”) acting as a strategic business partner and enabler. As the country corporate counsel for QA, the Senior Legal Counsel will take care of all corporate and fiduciary legal matters within QA..
This position reports to
Regional General Counsel EMEA EL
- Providing full legal services to operating units within the middle east, having an ongoing relationship and accountability for the units being served, providing legal and Integrity advice to ABB management and other stakeholders
- Contract negotiation, reviewing, negotiating and drafting commercial agreements and other contractual terms in collaboration with relevant business stakeholders, L&I (Legal & Integrity) team members on different levels and overseeing contract management
- Representing L&I for Qatar in the local management team(s) and in local boards at country level and providing strategic legal direction, legal support and advising to the relevant country management and local functions on corporate and fiduciary matters
- Be responsible for providing legal support in the creation and updating of local authorization matrices and tables in Qatar, in close coordination regional general counsel and ensuring compliance with local laws and regulations
- Acting as a country privacy lead in Qatar and providing local legal support in connection to Data Privacy topics (local laws and GDPR), providing local legal support and strategic advice in the relevant Middle East in connection to Electrification Business in the Region in close coordination with the Divisional Lead Counsels and the Regional General Counsel
- Participating in the formulation, interpretation, and implementation of ABB policies to ensure consistency and compliance applicable local laws, driving improvement or development of legal processes, due diligence and legal productivity, simplicity, and standardization, reflecting the country specific requirements
- Keeping abreast of legal, regulatory, and practicing developments that arise in respect of the relevant countries, driving and supporting ABB Integrity program and supporting Integrity initiatives in close collaboration with the head of Integrity and regional general counsel.
- Background - Bachelor’s degree – Legal degree from accredited law school with a demonstrable superior academic record and law firm training
- Minimum 5-10years of experience
- Substantial “hands-on” experience in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating sales and purchasing agreements and corporate-related documentations, such as local companies’ board minutes, board resolutions, reports etc.
- Demonstrable commercial law, corporate law, and regulatory or administrative law experience in the relevant countries, “Hands-on” business partner attitude with a solution-oriented mindset, the highest integrity and professionalism, and passion for excellence and quality
- Experience in an engineering or industrial sector required, experience working in listed company and in regulated markets preferable, but not required,
- Demonstrable leadership experience, in particular coordinating with cross-functional and cross-country teams in complex transactions
- Stakeholders management and superior negotiating skills and ability to work in complex international environment, Substantial experience working in different cultures and an open mind which champions diversity and inclusion.
- Having superior advocacy and communication skills, including the ability to communicate in writing effectively and efficiently and orally, an aptitude for practical negotiation, the capability to think clearly and quickly under pressure, the composure to satisfy multiple and often competing interests and ability to share lessons learned with teammates
- Travel is essential for the position
- Demonstrable fluency in English, including ability to draft and negotiate legal and corporate documents in English and such other language(s).
- Spoken & Written Arabic is mandatory
- French language skills are a plus.
More about us
ABB’s Electrification business is responsible for the go-to-market strategy and generating profitable growth for the Electrification Business Area. Our 10,000 strong commercial team represents the portfolio of all Electrification Business Area Divisions in over 100 countries. Our unmatched domain expertise across key industry verticals and channels combined with our truly global footprint makes us able to deliver extraordinary business results, supporting our customers with solutions which address their current needs, whilst considering the future emerging trends such as Urbanization, Digitalization and Shift to Electricity and Sustainable Energy Work model: on site #LI-onsite