Senior Service Engineer
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
In this role, you will execute medium to high complexity service work: installation, commissioning, maintenance, upgrades and retrofits, according to work instructions and in accordance with ABB processes, standards and safety guidelines. As a Senior Service Engineer, you will provide direction and assistance to the work group in order to meet assigned objectives. Responsibility includes performing installation, troubleshooting, repair and preventative maintenance on electrical distribution equipment. This is a remote position requiring up to 70% Travel throughout Ohio, Northern Kentucky, West Virginia and Western Pennsylvania (West of Pittsburg).
This position reports to
- Hands on execution of projects in respective area including Startup, commissioning, troubleshooting, engineering, design and repair of Power Delivery equipment (including transformers, switchgear, OCBs, Circuit Breakers, busways, UPS, ATS, PLCs, Relays, Power Management Controls systems and other Power related equipment & controls).
- Lead outages with other field engineers, technicians and contractors including project management, lead site engineer or site project manager.
- Perform administrative functions such as writing technical reports, ordering materials, securing quotations, preparing job status reports, reports to customers, time sheet and expense sheets on a complete timely, and thorough basis.
- Plan, organize and perform multifunctional field assignments in designated areas of expertise, directing the work of other field engineers and craft labor as required, in a timely and efficient manner.
- Develop and further expand technical knowledge and expertise, currently recognized industry standards for engineering ability.
- Plan, prepare and/or instruct both internal and external training programs as required, to impart and perpetuate field engineering and/or product knowledge in area of specialization.
- Maintain knowledge of the report system to the extent required for timely and accurate input of field information necessary.
- Exercise good judgment in controlling costs and expenditures of company funds.
- Protect the company's capital investments by properly safeguarding and maintaining that equipment for which responsible.
- Strive to achieve the highest level of customer satisfaction in all transactions and relationships with customers.
- Work directly with customers and ABB sales / service team to identify new service opportunities, develop proposals and execute work scope.
- Develop knowledge of ABB Industrial Solutions, terms & conditions and those of our customers & sub contractors to minimize risk and ensure compliance & integrity.
- Conduct work activities in compliance with the ABB HSE (Health, Safety and Environment), ABB Way and Safety Manual & Safety policy at all times.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering with minimum of 5 years of field engineering experience (OR High School Diploma / GED with a minimum of 10 additional years of related engineering / field experience).
- Technical skills in testing of power distribution and delivery to include Low Voltage and Medium Voltage Breakers, Switchgear, Relays and Transformers.
- Experience in the repair and refurbishment of LV and MV circuit breakers (OEM equipment such as Siemens, GE, ABB, SquareD, Multilin relays, and Switzer Relays).
- Technical skills in testing, commissioning, startup and troubleshooting of medium voltage synchronous machines (including excitation systems), controls systems and Programmable Logic controllers a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with minimum supervision, with strong business acumen.
- Ability and willingness to travel approximately 70% as required.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Knowledge of industrial customer base in geographical area.
- Good computer skills including Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word.
- Ability and willingness to possess and maintain a valid passport and driver's license.
- Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Wellbeing program
- Healthcare plan
More about us
ABB's Distribution Solutions Division provides utility, industrial and commercial customers with safe, smart and sustainable technologies for the distribution of electricity. With ABB AbilityTM enabled digital solutions at its core, our extensive portfolio includes distribution automation products, switching, limiting, measuring and sensing devices, switchgear, modular substation packages, and related services. We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com. Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm. http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762. Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [email protected] Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.#LI-Remote