Supplier Quality Engineer
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future. At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
In the position of Supplier Quality Engineer, you will act with safety, efficiency, quality and productivity to ensure that products and systems meet stated requirements. You will be responsible to perform under limited direction complex quality assurance assignments requiring diversified knowledge of engineering, manufacturing and quality techniques to cost-effectively accomplish the organization's goals and objectives. Proactively seek and implement initiatives to improve supplier quality performance and increase internal/external customer satisfaction.
This position reports to
Supply Chain Manager - Traction
- Supplier Qualification and Assessment: Drive the supplier qualification/ re-qualification process and ensure the supply base is and remain fully qualified and compliant. Support supplier onboarding (buyer responsible)
- Supplier Product Qualification and Surveillance: Schedule, monitor and approve supplier part, material and project subcontractor service activities, as applicable. Note: require often close coordination with other functions/ experts like engineering and where applicable includes PPAP (Production Part Approval Process), FAI (First Article Inspection)
- Issue Resolution and Claims: Operationally lead and fast execute upcoming supply issues like late deliveries, non-conforming products or project services. For any quality issue with likely root cause supplier, prepare the case of a claim for the responsible buyer. Proactively works with all vendors (internal and external) when processing product returns, requesting credit memos and tracking the total cost of poor quality when issues arise from non-conforming deliveries and following up with suppliers when credit memos are due
- Supplier Development: By Lean6Sigma and risk-based methodologies, identify needed improvements of supplier base capabilities and performance to ensure conformance with Customer and ABB requirements and the implementation of category strategy both in the short and long term. Perform assessments to establish a fact-based baseline of the current state
- Supplier Performance Evaluation/ Monitoring: With guidance from SCM, develop and support targeted suppliers to achieve ongoing conformity with Customer and ABB requirements and continuous improvement in quality, e.g. reduction of variation and cost or increase of sustainability, service/delivery performance. Monitor and report supplier performance (KPIs), quality issues, and development actions
- Process and System Development & Utilization: Define & develop with local unit counterparts (Sourcing, Quality, Operations, R&D/ Technology) local quality procedures & practices. Ensure that defined systems and practices are in line with existing Group/ Division/BU instructions and procedures
- Continuous Improvement Projects: Complete CI (Continuous Improvement)/ quality management projects, as required
- Interface with other functions: The role require close cooperation with category teams, responsible buyers, Quality & Operations, Sustainability/ HSE (Health, Safety & Environment), R&D (Research and development)/ Engineering, and project tender teams, among others. Represents the “Voice of Supplier” to ABB, e.g. R&D, Engineering, Procurement & Logistics, Quality, and Manufacturing. Represent “Voice of Customer” to the supplier
- Bachelor degree in engineering and two years of engineering experience in manufacturing setting required.
- Travel up to 20% for supplier visits required.
- Experience with supplier quality including supplier development, customer relations, continuous improvement and strong analytical aptitude and thinking required.
- SAP experience highly preferred.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Wellbeing program
- Healthcare plan
More about us
ABB Traction is a leader in traction technologies, driving innovation in rail and e-mobility. Our propulsion, auxiliary and energy storage solutions contribute to making transportation more sustainable, while saving energy every day. Our people and culture are the foundation of our success. We all together make the difference for our customers every day. We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com. Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/2022-10/EEOC_KnowYourRights_screen_reader_10_20.pdf https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/OFCCP/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762. Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [email protected] Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner. #LI-Onsite