At AES, we raise the quality of life around the world by changing the way energy works. Everyone makes an impact every day in our small, global teams. Apply here to start an extraordinary career today.
Under the general supervision of the Lead System Operations Coordinator and Manager of Transmission Operations. The Associate System Operator acting under the direction of the System Coordinator is responsible for the safe, stable, and reliable operation of the Bulk Electric System. This responsibility extends from the generating station substations through the distribution substations. The System Operator is responsible for complying with NERC, FERC, RFC, IURC and MISO requirements and directing field personnel through switching operations involving the Bulk Electric System.
● High school graduate
● Must successfully pass pre-screening EEI exam System Operator/Power Dispatch (SOPD)
● High degree of electrical and mechanical aptitude
● Available for all System Operations shifts (24-7)
● Ability to pass NERC Certification exam within 6 months
● Accredited post secondary education in an engineering or technology related field
● Current NERC Certification
● Electric Utility experience in transmission and/or distribution operations
● Computer proficiency and effective verbal and written communication skills are requirements
● Ability to work in a real-time operations environment on all shifts and as a team member
● Understanding of power substation equipment, power system electrical fundamentals, and the ability to interpret substation one-line diagrams and electrical schematics
● Proficient in the English Language
● Electric utility job related experience or training
● Assists in a training capacity for the direct operation of the bulk electric system
● Assists the field switching operations performed by authorized personnel including Substation Inspectors/Switchmen, Substation Mechanics, Electricians, Linemen, Relay/SCADA Specialists, Troublemen and any other classification that may be required to operate equipment on the bulk electric system
● During emergency operating conditions, Associate System Operator works with department management to take the necessary actions to protect the transmission system integrity, prevent loss of life and minimize damage to transmission system components
● Participates in conferring with the System Operation Coordinators and other System Operations management personnel regarding matters affecting the operation of the bulk electric system
● Participates in conferring with the operation personnel of the interconnected utilities on a twenty-four hour basis, exchanging information necessary to maintain good interconnected procedures
● Assists in monitoring system conditions watching for abnormalities or other conditions that could affect the reliability of the bulk electric system; when such conditions are detected, the Associate System Operator may recommend to department management taking immediate action to remedy the situation
AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to building strength and delivering long-term sustainability through diversity and inclusion. Respecting all backgrounds, differences and perspectives enables us to improve the lives of our people, customers, suppliers, contractors, and the communities in which we live and work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and/or expression, race, national origin, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.