Head of Sales (Rare Genetic Diseases)
Middlesex County, MA
Head of Sales (Rare Genetic Diseases)
Agios (agios.com) is a biopharmaceutical company committed to applying our scientific leadership in cellular metabolism to transform the lives of patients with cancer and rare genetic diseases. We are growing rapidly with an active research and discovery pipeline across both therapeutic areas. Agios has two approved oncology precision medicines and multiple first-in-class investigational therapies in clinical and/or preclinical development.
Our lead rare genetic disease program, Mitapivat, is in phase three clinical development for the treatment of Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency (PKD) with results expected before the end of 2020. Mitapivat (AG-348) is an investigational novel, first-in-class, orally available, selective small molecule activator of pyruvate kinase-R (PKR). Mutations in PKR cause deficiencies in red blood cell glycolysis, which lead to a disease known as PK deficiency. PK deficiency is an inherited disease that causes a lifelong condition called hemolytic anemia as well as other serious complications. PKR activation has potential utility in other hemolytic anemias such as thalassemia and sickle cell disease both currently under ongoing clinical investigation. We recently announced that weve achieved clinical proof of concept for the role of Mitapivat in the setting of thalassemia.
Reporting to the SVP, US Commercial and Global Marketing, the Head of Sales (Rare Genetic Diseases) will lead the development and staffing of the US sales organization in anticipation of the initial US approval of Mitapivat for Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency (PKD). Scope of responsibilities include staffing field sales management and representatives and coordination with sales operations and training in an effort to build a best-in-class rare disease sales organization.
We are seeking an individual with a demonstrated track record of building and leading high performing sales teams to accomplish ambitious objectives. The Head of Sales (Rare Genetic Diseases) should possess a scrappy start-up mentality and values consistent with the patient and science-focused Agios culture. They will be motivated by the opportunity to bring a rare disease commercialization mindset and to build an infrastructure which will lay the foundation for the success of Mitapivat and Agios pipeline of transformative rare genetic disease treatments.
- Design the optimal sales organization to support the successful launch and growth of Mitapivat for PKD, including hiring the best regional sales management and field representative talent
- Collaborate with brand team and market access (including patient support services) to develop national sales strategies and tactics
- Collaborate with brand team to set launch targets and objectives, support definition of KPIs and proactively monitor and adjust incentives and metrics to drive commercialization success
- Lead the evolution of sales support infrastructure to develop and implement operational processes for required business planning including customer targeting, alignments, size, structure and incentive compensation
- Provide input on requirements for sales force systems, data, training programs, performance metrics, and selling resource decisions
- Collaborate with legal, regulatory, compliance and other internal stakeholders to ensure tactics and operations are executed in compliance with legal and regulatory guidelines
- Upon launch, drive commercial team performance to get treatment to patients and deliver on revenue objectives while continuously assessing performance metrics and adjusting strategies and plans to achieve
- Collaborate with Medical Affairs and Market Access to ensure field coordination, customer/patient support
- Operate as an engaged, co-steward of the Commercial organization as a member of the US Commercial leadership team and larger Agios extended leadership team
- Work with Brand Team, Market Analytics, and Sales Operations to design reporting and business analytics to understand and report market developments through QBRs and routine management reporting, and to inform strategy.
- Bachelors degree, MBA preferred
- Minimum of 10 years experience in biopharma sales leadership, including at least 5 years experience in rare disease areas
- Demonstrated commitment to building and reinforcing a culture of compliance and accountability
- Proven track record for consistently meeting or exceeding quantitative and qualitative targets
- Demonstrated understanding of the payer and clinical landscape, especially in specialty & rare diseases
- Proven patient centricity demonstrated by empathy, understanding and commitment to support
- Proven ability to recruit, hire, develop and retain top sales talent
- Ability to work independently with minimum administrative support
- Demonstrated abilities to interact with internal and external stakeholders, including marketing, market access, medical affairs and others