Program Team Leader, Malignant Hematology
Middlesex County, MA
Program Team Leader, Malignant Hematology
Agios (agios.com) is a biopharmaceutical company committed to applying our scientific leadership in cellular metabolism to transform the lives of patients with cancer and rare genetic diseases. We are growing rapidly with an active research and discovery pipeline across both therapeutic areas. Agios has two approved oncology precisions medicine and multiple first-in-class investigational therapies in clinical and/or preclinical development.
We are currently searching for an experienced Program Team Leader to provide overarching strategic and operational leadership for our malignant heme portfolio including ivosidenib, and DHODH.
S/he will cultivate a deep understanding and knowledge of the science and mechanism of action of the drug, competitive landscape, customer needs, market trends and will create short and long-term objectives and plans that enable the rapid and most strategic development of the molecules, regulatory approvals, and where appropriate successful product launch and commercialization. S/he will achieve the appropriate balance between delivering strong clinical benefit for patients and maximizing financial performance.
S/he will interact with a broad range of functions and will build relationships with, collaborate with and influence multiple internal and external stakeholders. Such relationships to include Discovery, Clinical Development, Commercial and Corporate Strategy to both chart strategy and ensure stellar program execution. S/he will, in collaboration with Alliance Management, manage co-commercialization and Development partners including companion diagnostics.
S/he will have expert knowledge of the healthcare landscape, commercialization of highly innovative/first-in-class products, and familiarity with the clinical and technical aspects of product development through regulatory approval and launch (including accelerated approval strategies).
S/he may manage multiple program teams and program managers within their respective teams.
Strategic Leadership: Provide product lifecycle leadership, from development through commercialization for our lead program. Responsible for broad strategic thinking and guidance regarding development objectives, risk management, business value assessment, therapeutic area indication pursuit and overall product lifecycle/development considerations. Develop lifecycle and clinical development plans including scenario planning, high-level forecasting of timelines, assessment of program-level feasibility, estimation of resources and budget based on internal/external benchmarks and the development of high-level operational strategies. Oversee strategic direction and planning of product development and labeling objectives along with commercial team for product launch.
Executional Excellence: Responsible for the development of operational deliverables and accountable for their management and oversight in accordance with time, cost and quality commitments. Accountable for achieving timely decisions on program strategy/investment from R&D governance, then making or delegating decisions at the team/functional level to implement the strategy.
Relationship Management: Collaborate effectively with internal and external partners ensuring alignment of program goals. Interact with Research, Clinical Development, Manufacturing, Commercial, Program Management, and Business Development/Finance colleagues. Represent program with key stakeholders and Agios leadership. Ensure thorough and comprehensive organizational communication and understanding of program goals, objectives and timelines.
Executes and Operates to a High Standard: Exceptional leadership skills. Proven capability to direct and motivate a team of cross-functional colleagues both internal to and external to Agios. Ability to establish incredibly high standards for themselves and teammates. Strong planning, organization, delegation and decision-making abilities. Help Agios build and evolve functional capabilities through execution of the lead programs.
Collaborates: Ability to interact easily with all levels within the organization; tactful; mature; flexible. Able to initiate and resolve conflict and create high-performing teams. High level of collaboration and influencing skills.
Innovates Courageously: Thought leader; big picture thinker who anticipates future trends and consequences and creates competitive strategies and plans. Strong ability to translate vision into direction that adds distinct value and builds competitive advantage.
Know Yourself, Know Others: Engenders trust and respect. Able to establish personal credibility quickly. Concerned for personal and professional development of others. Track record of working with people across a multitude of situations. Demonstrates real empathy.
Develops Self and Others: Demonstrates a commitment to own development. Recruits exceptional talent and coaches/mentors direct reports and Program Team members to develop their knowledge, skills and behaviors to enable them to reach their full potential for the benefit of the Program and the wider organization.
Effective Communication: Listens actively. Conveys complex information clearly, accurately and in a simple manner in a variety of settings including amongst colleagues and executives, both internal and externally. Ability to ask clarifying questions to ensure alignment with collaborators on key goals and objectives. Demonstrates agility and capacity to formulate and deliver appropriate responses in high-pressure settings.
- BS/BA in Business Administration or Life Sciences; MBA, MD, PhD, or other graduate degree strongly preferred.
- Extensive experience with drug development required. Oncology experience strongly desired.
- 10+ years experience within the pharma/biotech/biopharma space in roles of progressively increasing responsibility.
- Experience in a Lifecycle/Product Team Leader role or other cross-disciplinary background with team leadership experience required.
- Track record of strategic business contributions resulting in corporate value creation.
- Knowledge of the drug development process up to and including regulatory filing, approval and launch. Experience with accelerated approval and/or first-in-class product development highly desirable.
- Strategic planning experience required with the ability to understand and critically assess clinical development plans, protocol design, resource needs, program budgets and timelines.
- Driven by patient needs and comfortable operating in a highly scientific and technical environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams without direct reporting responsibility; exceptional interpersonal skills and collaborative nature with strong ability to influence, motivate, inspire, encourage and develop others.
- Strong collaboration, decision-making and conflict management skills with demonstrated proficiency.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including strong formal presentation skills and the ability to communicate complex scientific information in an understandable manner.
- Sophisticated understanding of the evolving regulatory and economic trends impacting the industry; ability to maintain relevant knowledge of business, regulatory and therapeutic advances that may impact lifecycle planning or ongoing operational strategies.
- Experience in both large and small company environments a plus.