Middlesex County, MA
Agios (agios.com) is a biopharmaceutical company committed to applying our scientific leadership in cellular metabolism to transform the lives of patients with cancer and rare genetic diseases. We are growing rapidly with an active research and discovery pipeline across both therapeutic areas. Agios has two approved oncology precision medicines and multiple first-in-class investigational therapies in clinical and/or preclinical development.
At Agios, our passion is the patients we can help through the science that we do. If your passion is to conduct science which will help others, consider this rare opportunity to join a world-class biochemistry team at Agios. We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Scientist who will directly contribute to successful drug discovery. This is a great opportunity for a curious scientist to join a science-focused company and continue to develop their science while expanding their experience in important aspects of drug discovery. The successful candidate will provide expertise in mechanistic enzymology as applied to drug discovery and will be directly involved in multiple aspects of biochemistry to impact discovery of novel medicines.
- Responsible for generating high quality data in protein chemistry & engineering, protein analytics, enzyme kinetics (both transient and steady-state) and biophysical methods to interrogate detailed molecular interactions and understand mode of inhibition
- Devise and develop innovative assays for library screening against novel targets, including many unstable enzymes, and mechanistic interrogation of drug candidates
- Interact with exploratory cell biologists to help elucidate relevant intracellular biochemistry, genetic and epigenetic regulation of our targets and advance them through validation
- Interact closely with medicinal chemistry to guide small molecule drug discovery through the execution of inhibitor or activator mechanism of action studies
- Dual leadership from bench and in CRO management; manage external FTE resources; transfer and validate assays to external partners
- PhD in Enzymology, Biochemistry or related field with 0-3+ years industry research experience or an MS/BS degree with 5-10 years of industry research experience in the context of small-molecule drug discovery
- A strong background in steady-state enzymology with emphasis on mechanism of action and kinetic studies with multiple readouts (UV/VIS, TR-FRET, FP). Experience with coupled enzyme assay systems, transient kinetics, KNIME informatics environment, and LCMS-based enzyme assays is a plus.
- In-depth understanding of recombinant protein expression and purification from bacterial, insect, and yeast systems.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, planning, organizational skills to manage external CRO partners and internal matrix collaborations are essential