Middlesex County, MA
Associate Scientist/Scientist**, Metabolism**
Agios (agios.com) is a biopharmaceutical company committed to applying our scientific leadership in cellular metabolism to transform the lives of patients with cancer and rare genetic diseases. We are growing rapidly with an active research and discovery pipeline across both therapeutic areas. Agios has two approved oncology precision medicine and multiple first-in-class investigational therapies in clinical and/or preclinical development.
Agios Pharmaceuticals is searching for a dynamic Associate Scientist/Scientist to join our growing Metabolism and Proteomics team. You will be responsible for the design and execution of metabolomics and targeted LCMS experiments to support drug discovery efforts in cancer metabolism, immuno-oncology, and rare genetic disorders. You will have the ability to work cross-functionally as a contribution member to our pre-clinical project teams.
The Cell Metabolism department focuses on quantitatively understanding cellular metabolism, relying on state-of-the-art mass spectrometry methods for proteomics, lipidomics, metabolomics and isotopic labeling studies. Our work includes characterization of tumor and immune metabolism as well understanding the metabolic effects of rare genetic disorders. The successful candidate will leverage their understanding of metabolism to support drug discovery across the portfolio.
- Design and execute metabolomic assays to assess perturbations in cellular metabolism in a variety of disease settings, including cancer metabolism, immunology, and rare genetic diseases.
- Improve and troubleshoot established LCMS metabolomics methods, from sample processing to data analysis.
- Design and validate new LCMS methods supporting metabolomics analysis
- Analyze data using commercial, open-source, and proprietary computational techniques for understanding target pathways, discovering biomarkers, and analyzing metabolic flux data.
- Collaborate with internal groups, such as Cell Biology, Bioinformatics, Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Clinical, as well as external groups from academia and CROs.
- Communicate data to project reps, scientific teams, senior management, and the external community through scientific journals and conferences. Have responsibility for sharing results with program teams and publishing.
- PhD/Postdoc with relevant metabolomics experience in disease metabolism, DMPK, bioanalysis, natural products, or biomarker research
- Proven track record of using mass spectrometry to solve complex biological problems in a discovery research environment, including publications that demonstrate analytics supporting biology or clinical research
- Experience with liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry methods for small molecule analysis
- Basic understanding of cellular metabolism in relation to disease progression
- Self-motivated and able to work independently or in a small team with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to multi-task.
- GCMS experience a plus
- Mammalian cell culture experience a plus
- Variety of analytical chemistry experience applied to the analysis of biomolecules
- Know & Show your Stuff: Possesses technical or professional expertise and is able to apply it at Agios to create value/impact.
- Collaborates: Work in and with teams to achieve outcomes that individuals would not have been able to achieve alone.
- Demonstrates critical and creative thinking to solve problems
- Talks straight: Open and authentic in conversations; cultivates trust in interactions.
- Executes and Operates to a High Standard in delivering results to project teams.
- Improves Continuously: Takes an approach to continuous improvement; anticipates and addresses capability gaps to prepare for future challenges.
- Builds networks internally to establish an effective collaborative environment