The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
Job Code: 70016087
While awaiting the results of the bar examination and subsequent admission to the bar, under the direction and supervision of an admitted attorney, prepares pleadings and motions, conducts discovery, including reviewing documents, interviewing clients, preparing trial materials and summarize and analyze research in the defense of bodily injury and property damage lawsuits, subrogation, and Allstate Financial cases. Prepares for and conducts hearings, trials, arbitrations, mediations, and depositions. Prepares and argues pre and post-trial motions. Assists colleagues in the resolution of calendar conflicts, Provides counsel to business clients on day-to-day issues. Monitors and reviews new laws, regulations, and case law; identifies and summarizes relevant issues; collaborates with other areas of L&R department; proactively provides advice and counsel to business unit on the impact of new laws on business; monitors counsel
Allstate Insurance Company is looking for a current 3L Law student to join the Litigation Services Department as an entry level Trial Attorney. Allstate’s Staff and Retained Counsel represent policyholders in claims-related litigation/disputes across the country. It also represents the Company in the defense of low and moderate exposure bodily injury and property damage lawsuits.
The Litigation entry level Trial Attorney will:
• Review new file assignments and approve initial pleadings, propounds discovery, and develop strategy
• Contact clients to discuss the case and answer any questions and maintain contact at a minimum of 90 days
• Contact claims (initial litigation plan, recurring minimum 90-day contact, strategy conferences, etc.)
• Review all documentary evidence
• Prepares witnesses and clients for depositions, arbitrations, mediations and trials including expert witnesses
• Conduct depositions and examinations under oath and prepares summary documents
• Prepare and conduct court appearances (matter management conferences, hearings, status conferences, etc.)
• Conduct settlement/dispositive proceedings (e.g. mediations, arbitrations, etc.)
• Try and/or arbitrate cases
• Prepare motions in limine and summary documents
• Draft post-trial motions
• Prepare for and participate in appeals
• Provide legal opinions to claims clients
• Investigate and pursue subrogation litigation as appropriate
The salary is competitive, and the position begins approximately mid- May to early June 2023.
• 3L Law student preparing to pass NJ State Bar Exam
• A rising 2022 3L Law student
• 0-2 years related experience in Insurance Defense, Subrogation and/or Personal Injury litigation
• Computer skills required; experience with Microsoft Office, Lexis, and the internet
• Ability to work well with others on a team of attorneys, paralegals, administrative assistants, supervised by an attorney Lead Counsel
• Must be able to handle a large caseload
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills are key to working with a variety of internal and external contacts as well as for preparing reports, pleadings, and correspondence, collaborating with others, etc. Will work independently as well as part of a cohesive team.
• Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
• Demonstrates ethics and integrity
• Ability to travel
• Periodically lifting in excess of 20 pounds throughout the day, depending on court matters being handled. Attorneys are required to cover court matters for each other; attorneys have laptops.
• Trial preparation could require lifting in excess 20 lbs. because of exhibits, materials, records from plaintiff, etc. These materials are printed for some proceedings.
• Bending to pick up the computer bag which sometimes is more than 20 pounds, entering and exiting a vehicle, maneuvering files and computer at security checkpoints
• Driving at least 40-50 miles daily depending on the activities being covered, court, doctors’ depositions, discovery depositions, and case evaluations, etc.
• Sitting for pro-longed periods of time en route to court, in court or at court proceedings, depositions, etc.
The preceding description is not designed to be a complete list of all duties and responsibilities. May be required to perform other related duties as assigned. Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
Compensation offered for this role is $67,300.00-$113,875.00 per year and is based on experience and qualifications.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy. For a full description of Allstate’s benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.
More than just an insurance company, Allstate is a consumer-focused, data-driven company that’s constantly redefining what it means to be protected. Through its commitment to growth and innovation over the last 90 years, Allstate is establishing itself as a leader of new technology in the industry. The company places a strong emphasis on professional development and ...