Area-I, an Anduril Company, is a Metro-Atlanta based company dedicated to the development of state-of-the-art unmanned aircraft systems designed for use by the United States Armed Forces. We specialize in the development of unmanned aircraft systems that eject from host platforms or modular launch systems. These platforms are designed to meet the specific needs of our customers, where we design, build, test, and ultimately deliver unique solutions to the customer. Area-I’s customers include the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy, U.S. Army, and NASA.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Fully qualified Design and Systems Engineers in the Flight Systems Directorate apply engineering principles, experience, creativity, and subject matter expertise to perform and document many critical functions to support program and product teams.
- Assisting PMs with projection of life cycle cost, performance, and risk and with planning and management of cost, schedule, system performance, risk during development
- Requirements generation, derivation, analysis, de-confliction, and compliance
- Configuration management
- Identification and mitigation of technical risk
- System safety analyses; identification and mitigation of hazards related to hardware, software, interfaces, personnel, operations and environment; and root cause and failure effects analyses
- ·Assisting chief engineers to ensure professional quality and technical sufficiency of contract deliverables, including but not limited to:
- o Requirements documentation, trade studies, and traceability verification
- o Interface Control Documents (ICDs) and System Design Documents (SDDs)
- o System Safety Program Plans (SSPPs) and Safety Assessment Reports (SARs)
- o Test and evaluation master plans, subsystem and integration test plans, acceptance test plans etc....
- o Technical data and drawing packages
ROLES MAY INCLUDE:
- Conceptual and preliminary design of UAS and constituent systems
- Integration of advanced, miniaturized, modular mission and flight systems, including comm and data links, navigation systems, propulsion systems, and payloads
- Defining and conducting bench, integration, software-in-the-loop (SIL), and hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) testing of components or systems
- Planning (including design of experiments), data collection, and data analysis for flight and ground tests
- Developing prototypes
- Creating and maintaining test apparatus or simulation environments
- Developing relationships with subsystem vendors
- Facilitating multi-disciplinary effort within and across programs
- Positions may be available from entry-level to subject matter experts, engineering managers, or chief engineers for programs or product development teams. Hiring and placement will depend on candidate qualifications and experience and company need.
- BS from an accredited institution in Aerospace Engineering, Robotics, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, or related disciplines.
- Able to obtain and hold a U.S. Secret security clearance.
- Effective personal and technical communication skills, including strong data visualization, technical documentation and reporting, and technical presentation skills.
- Professional interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Advanced degree from an accredited institution in one of the disciplines listed above or related disciplines.
- Strong understanding of software and avionics components and their interactions in UAS applications.
- Experience as an engineering subject matter expert for aircraft or UAS programs.
- Experience designing, testing, and validating new aircraft hardware, firmware, and software systems.
- Experience with flight test engineering, design of experiments, data collection, and data analysis to support flight system development and demonstration.
- Experience with root cause and failure effects analysis.
- Experience creating and maintaining design documentation.
- Skill with 3D CAD (SolidWorks desired) and creation and interpretation of production drawings, including applying and interpreting Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Experience and expertise in miniaturized, flight-qualified payloads, including RF/EW systems, energetic payloads and fusing, EO/IR sensors and laser designators and illuminators, advanced GPS systems, and airborne networking and comm systems.
- Experience and expertise in aircraft design, including iterative refinement and optimization of flight vehicle designs to meet performance requirements and assure readiness for manufacturing. This work may include design of composite fuselages or flight surfaces, internal structural components, propulsion systems, or payloads.
Area-I is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you are someone passionate to work on problems that matter, we'd love to hear from you!