Job Description Summary
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world. Advancing the world of health™ is our Purpose, and it’s no small feat. It takes the imagination and passion of all of us—from design and engineering to the manufacturing and marketing of our billions of MedTech products per year—to look at the impossible and find transformative solutions that turn dreams into possibilities.
We believe that the human element, across our global teams, is what allows us to continually evolve. Join us and discover an environment in which you’ll be supported to learn, grow and become your best self. Become a maker of possible with us.
This position is key to our Enterprise Informatics Software strategy and will work with our delivery teams across the globe to implement and deliver complex product technologies to the market.
Reporting to the VP of Software Engineering the Director will play a hands-on role taking high level concepts from our product team, produce proofs of concept and work with our SAFe delivery teams to create and implement approved product roadmaps. The Director will also mentor software leaders through the development process and will be responsible for delivering results for the IDS business by:
- Working in a 100+ person globally distributed software team in a mature organization.
- Working with internal and external stakeholders to develop product design and technical roadmaps.
- Leading end-to-end product development and providing leadership to the software development department.
- Hiring and allocating resources per business and functional needs.
- Managing budgets and establishing software development goals to build functional excellence.
- Managing advancement and deployment of specific disciplines and technologies.
- Actively participating in the Software Engineering process (for regulated software).
- Promoting diversity and inclusion and a speak up culture.
The individual performs the following functions, in addition to others, in the administration of their position:
- Communicates goals with team members as well as executive leadership.
- Collaborate with product owners, architects, and business units to translate business needs into robust implementations
- Allocates resources based on requests from Scrum teams (10+ teams working in SAFe).
- Validates resource utilization to assure efficient deployment of team members.
- Measures team velocity and backlog burndown metrics and takes necessary steps.
- Leads a team of technical software leaders to be effective in the design and development of software applications and systems per business demands and requirements
- Manages a team of individual contributors to complete necessary work as requested by technology leadership.
- Assigns duties and is accountable for achievement of departmental objectives by all subordinates.
- Selects employees and evaluates performance. Provides ongoing employee development to ensure efficient operation of the function.
- Guides development staff in promoting high performance culture and cost effectiveness across the entire team.
Specific activities associated with this area of responsibility are:
- Promotes sharing of domain expertise and knowledge across the team
- Provides technical leadership and expertise about the feature set or domain supported by their team
- Provides counsel to their direct reports regarding career development
- Represents their direct reports in discussions about prospective moves, future assignments, career opportunities, etc.
- Shares information about the company, the industry, the department, major initiatives, etc., and addresses related questions
- Supports their manager by leading special projects and/or providing input regarding possible process improvements, organization changes, resource needs, etc.
- Stay on the top of the latest technological progress and use this knowledge to ensure company products and software solutions remain marketable and competitive.
- Maintains hands-on technical expertise by making technical contributions to the software design, development and integration of applications and systems through the Scrum team construct
- Implements operational policies and directives
- BS (MS preferred)in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, or relevant field.
- 10-15 years' experience designing, executing, and supporting healthcare software solutions preferred.
- At least 3-5 years of development experience in healthcare managing technical managers and senior developers in a commercial software environment; Architecture experience a plus preferred.
- Experience in an SAFe/Agile development environment.
- Experience is Healthcare diagnostics software including ASTM, HL7, FHIR interoperabilit preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of technologies and current computing trends such as AI in the healthcare space preferred.
TECHNICAL SKILLSET AND EXPERIENCE
- 10+ years of experience building an enterprise software application using .NET frameworks, C#, SQL and Angular.
- Experience in service-oriented architecture, building micro-services at scale along with knowledge in domain driven design.
- Positive attitude and a strong commitment to delivering quality work.
- Effective communication skills (written and verbal) to properly articulate complicated reports to management.
- Proficient with software development lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies like Agile, Test- driven development and (Scaled Agile) SAFe
Primary Work Location
USA MD - Sparks - 7 Loveton Circle
USA NJ - Franklin Lakes
US BD 830am-5pm FLakes Core Hours (United States of America)