Engineering Customer Support & Service Technician
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
This position is for a systems engineer (SE) in the Systems Engineering, Integration and Test (SEIT) of Boeing India Engineering, to support an Indian Navy (IN) team of technicians actively piloting autonomous robotic vehicles in India. As member of SEIT team, the individual will be a technical systems engineering service professional supporting our Wave Glider operations at Naval Base Porbandar and reporting to our Wave Glider Operations Center at California.
Position is based in Porbandar, Gujarat, India.
- Apply health, safety, security, and environmental (HSSE) best practices in all operational work.
- Provide troubleshooting / oversight assistance (through reach-back support to Liquid Robotics (LR Boeing in the USA if required) to the IN in their maintenance and operation of Wave Gliders at the Porbandar Naval Base.
- Maintain inventory of spares being supplied for warranty and subsequent Annual Maintenance Contracts (AMC) as well as assist in the processing of warranty claims between LR and IN.
- Launch, pilot, recover, service, troubleshoot and repair Wave Gliders and related instruments and sensors after appropriate training by OEM
- Be recognized as Wave Glider technology champion, with exemplary knowledge of system configurations, operations, troubleshooting, and repair based on the bench or in the field.
- Direct and supervise crew and technicians in a leadership capacity during local and remote field operations.
- Plan, oversee, execute and report on field operation activities such as on in-water testing and operation of Wave Glider systems and related instruments and sensors. This includes coordinating all aspects of field operations including vessels of opportunity, facilities, and logistics in remote locations.
- Conduct and record preventative maintenance and configuration management.
- Exhibit competence in reading and interpreting schematics and engineering control documentation to core functional level.
- Function as the escalation point of contact for external and internal customer contacts who demonstrates competence, knowledge and confidence in the ability of the systems to perform their
- Train others to operate and maintain Wave Gliders and related instruments and sensors.
- Duties for this role include but are not limited to: organizing and overseeing technical field operations, support in IN launch and recovery of Wave Gliders and associated equipment from IN vessels, interacting with vessel staff and marine operations crews which maintain, troubleshoot and repair Wave Gliders.
- At least 7-10 years' full-time service in the Indian Navy, including experience in maintaining
- ASW sensor suite onboard ships and submarines
- Strong customer service orientation (strives for best customer experience, and operational
- The Systems Engineer has significant marine engineering and technology experience working with a team of engineers and technicians.
- This individual qualifies as an expert Wave Glider engineer in support of operational and engineering testing, customer deployments and customer training.
- This individual has experience in a project or program management role and has experience operating in an independent capacity capable of complex problem solving
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail (written and verbal).
- Ability to work flexible schedules (non-standard work shifts) and work alone for extended periods.
- Work effectively with all levels of employees cross-functionally, as well as external parties.
- Recognize and execute tasks (often unstructured) requiring new perspectives and creative approaches.
- Take initiative with limited supervision and direction to ensure business objectives are met.
Qualification/Education and Experience Required:
- 7-10 years in the Indian Navy
- B. Tech/Tech Qualifications acquired while working in Indian Navy in engineering, marine science/technology or minimum 12yrs in a related field.
- Significant experience in maritime operations including deck operations while at-sea, equipment service, launch and recovery of oceanographic equipment
- Highly technical background and proven ability to troubleshoot and repair complex electromechanical systems.
- Experience with bench and field servicing of pressure vessels, waterproof connectors, oceanographic equipment, instruments and sensors.
- Working knowledge of AC/DC power systems, computer programming (e.g. LINUX), terminals &
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to operate as a leader and a team player.
- Experience with autonomous vehicles
- Experience with photo and video documentation
- Basic machine shop and welding operations, mechanical aptitude
- BOSIET/HUET or equivalent certified
- SCUBA Certified
- First Aid/O2 Certified
Basic Qualifications for Consideration
Preferably Retired Technical / Sailors from the Indian Navy with the following qualifications
Military Navy: Electrical/Marine (B Tech) or with 10-12 years' full-time service in the Indian Navy, including experience in maintaining ASW sensor suite onboard ships and submarines
Preferably having worked on Sonars, LOFAR Arrays and C4I2 systems
Liquid Robotics designs and manufactures Wave Gliders, the world's first wave and solar powered
autonomous ocean robots. With partners, we address challenges facing defense, Oil & Gas, commercial and
science customers by making ocean data collections and communications easier safer and in real- time.
Liquid Robotics was acquired by Boeing in December of 2016 and operates as an independent nonintegrated
All information provided will be checked and may be verified. This requisition is for an international, locally
hired position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in India. Boeing will not seek immigration and
labor sponsorship for any applicants; this is the responsibility of the job candidate. Benefits and pay are
determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S.-based payroll. RELOCATION BENEFITS IF
INDICATED ARE LIMITED TO IN-COUNTRY MOVES AND ARE NOT AVAILABLE FOR OVERSEAS
RELOCATION. THERE IS NO EXPATRIATE PACKAGE ASSOCIATED WITH THIS POSITION.
Boeing is implementing new requirements for employees to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 or have an approved reasonable accommodation based on local legislation in several countries including U.S.-based employees. Please refer here for current vaccination and/or reasonable accommodation requirements, and timelines based on location.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.