Experienced Microelectronics Principal Investigator
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
We are Boeing Research & Technology (BR&T): Boeing's global research and development team creating and implementing innovative technologies that make the impossible possible and enabling the future of aerospace. We are engineers and technicians, skilled scientists and bold innovators; Join us and put your passion, determination, and skill to work building the future! #TheFutureIsBuiltHere #ChangeTheWorld
Within BR&T, Boeing's Solid State Electronics Development organization (SSED) performs microelectronics technology development and design for aerospace systems.
We develop Systems on Chip (SoCs) for radar, navigation, electronic warfare, communications, processing, and other electronic systems. This entails design, simulation and test of microwave (MMIC) and RF (RFIC) integrated circuits (ICs), high-performance analog and mixed-signal ICs, complex high performance digital ICs, high performance 3D microelectronics packaging and systems on chip (SOC) and systems in package (SIP) technologies. These systems are used on Boeing airborne, terrestrial, and satellite platforms. Designs are implemented with state of the art semiconductor process technologies including CMOS, GaAs, GaN, and SiGe. SSED uses external wafer fabrication but performs design (architecture, RTL, synthesis, circuits, physical design, verification, packaging and test) in house. SSED has numerous microelectronics projects, funded both by internal Boeing customers and external Government Science and Technology (S&T) customers. SSED's large staff of microelectronics engineers conduct research and design microelectronics hardware in support of these projects.
We are seeking experienced Principal Investigators (PIs) to lead the shaping, capture, and execution of SSED's microelectronics research & development (R&D) programs in multiple areas. The successful candidate will accomplish this by leveraging deep knowledge of and a network of connections in: 1) the military/aerospace microelectronics development community; 2) the US government microelectronics R&D community; 3) SSED's customer & partner organizations within Boeing; and 4) the commercial microelectronics industry.
This position has a hybrid work arrangement which is a combination of remote and on site work, generally includes routinely working virtually one or more days per week, schedules may vary by week.
- PI positions cover RFIC/RFSOC, mmWave and Digital SOC in areas of secured processor and AI/ML
- Participate in development of SSED strategies and roadmaps - technical and business (e.g. new technology areas, partnerships, make/buy trades)
- Meet regularly with customers (external & internal, current & prospective) and partners to shape SSED business opportunities by: 1) understanding our customers' technical needs & budget plans; 2) understanding our partners' technical capabilities & roadmaps; and 3) sharing SSED capabilities, accomplishments, and roadmaps with customers & partners
- Lead development of detailed technical approaches for affordable microelectronics R&D programs
- Lead development and delivery of white papers / ROMs and proposals to customers
- Collaborate with SSED functional management, portfolio management, and lab management to define and secure the resources needed to execute microelectronics R&D programs (e.g. personnel, facilities, software, laboratory equipment)
- Lead execution of microelectronics R&D programs, in collaboration with SSED portfolio managers, program managers, project management specialists, and technical lead engineers.
- Regularly present technical findings to customers and their technical advisors.
- Collaborate with customers to re-vector execution plans based on technical learning and evolving constraints, risks, and opportunities.
This position requires the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance for which the U.S. Government requires U.S. Citizenship. An interim and/or final U.S. Secret Clearance Post-Start is required.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills and Experience)
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry
- 5+ years of experience in development of microelectronics (e.g. ASICs, SoCs, RFICs & Systems in Package (SiPs)) and/or enabling technologies (e.g. state-of-the-art semiconductor fabrication, embedded circuit IP, advanced microelectronics packaging, modeling, electronic design automation
- 3+ years of experience as a Principle Investigator in microelectronics R&D, including leading proposals for US government customers
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, and interpersonal skills to work with customers, teammates and suppliers.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Active security clearance
- Experience developing microelectronics (and/or enabling technologies) for military/aerospace applications that address special needs such as extreme environment performance (e.g. radiation hardened, high/low temperature), long lifetime, Trusted/classified development, hardware security features, etc.
- Experience working on large-scale ASIC/SoC/RFIC/MMIC design teams
- Experience supporting military radar, communications, electronic warfare, or avionics/mission processor programs
- Experience with laboratory equipment for testing microelectronics
Relocation: This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Shift: This position is for first shift
Union: This is a union represented position
Boeing is implementing new requirements for employees to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 or have an approved reasonable accommodation based on local legislation in several countries including U.S.-based employees. Please refer here for current vaccination and/or reasonable accommodation requirements, and timelines based on location.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.