Senior Avionics Service Engineer
Seal Beach, CA
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Commercial Airplanes, Customer Support organization is currently seeking a Senior Avionics Service Engineer (Level 4) with broad knowledge of avionics system design and engineering principles to assist airline customers in the resolution of in-service technical problems and issues related to Avionics, Common Core System (CCS), Airplane Information Management System (AIMS), Displays & Crew Alerting and e-Enabling & Maintenance Systems. This position will be located in Seal Beach, California.
The primary responsibility in this role will be addressing and resolving in-service issues related to airplane e-Enabling and Maintenance Systems. In this role, you will also be tasked with: working directly with airline customers to analyze system issues, developing and performing tests to ensure system designs meet operational and functional requirements, and monitor supplier performance to ensure system integration and compliance with requirements. The position requires flexibility to address emergent issues and support important airline meetings off-hours. This position may also require an occasional off-shift work schedule to support the fleet operating 24/7/365.
Job priorities will include monitoring potential in-service risks and issues, and managing appropriate mitigation plans to assure a successful entry into service. Additional activities include verification of all related Customer Support products, including Aircraft Maintenance Manual (AMM) and Fault Isolation Manual (FIM), as well as develop and update Fleet Team Digest (FTD) articles, Service Letters (SL) Maintenance Tips (MT), and responding to operator Service Requests (SR) by using Boeing products including My Boeing Fleet (MBF), Maintenance Performance Toolbox, Airplane Health Management (AHM).
As a Service Engineer, you will be working on resolving operator issue real-time, including general systems questions, short to medium term Avionics, Common Core System (CCS), Airplane Information Management System (AIMS), Displays & Crew Alerting and e-Enabling & Maintenance Systems problem resolution, long term issue description and proactive fleet guidance, to all the way through to working with operators to recover Airplane On Ground (AOG) situations. This can involve working over the phone to troubleshooting an airplane halfway around the world, to being on onsite at the operator to return a grounded airplane back to revenue service, all while utilizing the latest Boeing tools, technology, data analytics, and real time fleet monitoring data
You will be an integral part of supporting all Boeing Commercial Airplane models in-service and under development, including programs such as 747, 767, 777, 787, 737NG, 737 MAX, 777X, and the next generation of commercial airplanes.
- Provides technical, design and informational support for basic production, product support or in-service issues. Troubleshoots basic system problems consistent with operational protocols.
- Supports and/or creates and provides basic technical documentation (e.g. Fleet Team Digest articles, service letters, drawings, specifications, documents, data sets, design folders, test requirements documents, manuals) in accordance with engineering processes and procedures for internal reference or external delivery.
- Supports review of technical design, analysis, and production by reviewing documentation, participating in design reviews, and observing tests and audits to ensure compliance.
- Assists with the investigation of problems to provide engineering design disposition of discrepancies.
- Supports and/or leads the research of technical, operational and quality issues that cannot be resolved by the customer.
- Assists in designing and/or providing analysis of interim and final engineering solutions to return airplanes to revenue service.
- Supports airline customers on-site, when needed, to resolve complex technical system issues.
- Works with and possibly directing cross-functional teams to conduct root cause analysis and develop dispositions for complex design non-conformance's.
- Assists in the development of customer correspondence for continued safe operation and maintenance of equipment.
- Assesses complex system event reports to determine potential safety issues.
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite at one of the listed location options.
The position must meet Export Control compliance requirements, therefore a US Person as defined by 22 C.F.R. 120.15 is required. US Person includes US Citizen, lawful permanent resident, refugee, or asylee.
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills / Experience):
- Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study in engineering, aerospace, computer science, mathematics, physics
- 9+ years of experience in related field and applying systems engineering principles in a development environment of a complex system
- Must be willing to support a 24/7 on-call rotation environment to support the needs of the customer
Preferred Qualification (Desired Skills / Experience):
- Avionics industry experience with airplane Avionics
Typical Education / Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 9 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+4 years' related work experience, Master+7 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
This position is for 1st shift.
Boeing is implementing new requirements for employees to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 or have an approved reasonable accommodation based on local legislation in several countries including U.S.-based employees. Please refer here for current vaccination and/or reasonable accommodation requirements, and timelines based on location.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.