Senior Manager of Proprietary Programs
Seal Beach, CA
At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
Boeing Defense Space & Security (BDS) has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Manager of Proprietary Programs to join our Experimental Systems Group (ESG) to support development of new first-of-kind space vehicles and missions. The position can be located in Seal Beach, CA or El Segundo, CA.
ESG supports a variety of government customers spanning technology domains, and is an extremely fast-paced, responsive development environment delivering new capabilities to customers rapidly and affordably. The ESG portfolio consists of a range of platforms and technologies including the X-37B, the world's first fully autonomous reusable spaceplane.
As a member of the ESG program management leadership team, you will be responsible for spacecraft design, manufacturing, AI&T and preparation of all ground infrastructure, command, and control products necessary for flight operations. Selected candidate is responsible for managing execution (technical, cost, and schedule) of the project and new business proposals/communications with a broad range of government customers and support organizations to capture and keep programs sold.
In this role, you will serve as a core point of contact for customers and will work directly with subject matter experts across the business to quickly iterate and converge on achievable solutions that meet our customers' needs. Our development timelines are aggressive and you will be asked to develop solutions to previously unsolved problems. You will lead and manage multidisciplinary Integrated Product Teams (IPTs) to bring concepts to fruition in support of our customers' mission objectives.
An ideal candidate has a strong technical background across all spacecraft subsystems, a strong system background spanning both space and ground domains, and demonstrated program management skills. You will need to be able to dive into broad, minimally-defined design spaces and effectively lead integrated efforts. Clear and concise, written and oral communication of complex subjects to Boeing executive leadership and all levels of customer program management is required.
- Overall technical, cost, and schedule responsibility for the design, development, fabrication, assembly, integration, demonstration, and test of Proprietary Space Projects.
- Manages employees and managers performing IPT leadership activities in the area of IPT planning, management, and execution.
- Develops and executes integrated plans and guides the development of IPT business and technical strategies, goals, objectives.
- Acquires resources for organizational activities, provides management of suppliers and leads process improvements.
- Implements Boeing command media and best practices throughout IPT organization, including safety, risk/issue/opportunity, technical performance, and change control management, among other disciplines.
- Develops and maintains relationships and partnerships with customers, suppliers, stakeholders, peers, partners, management and direct reports.
- Manages, develops and motivates employees and IPT teams.
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite at one of the listed location options.
This position requires a current Tier 5 (T5), formerly known as a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) (U.S. Citizenship required) or requires candidate agreed to enter a Continuous Evaluation program.
BasicQualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate of Science degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics, physics or chemistry
Minimum 5 years of experience in engineering project planning or project management
Minimum 3 years of experience with leadership role in space systems design, architecture definition, and functional analysis
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience with experience with system integration (hardware, firmware, software)
- Experience in Satellite or Space Programs
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and external customers
- Experience working with suppliers
- Experience in the implementation and use of Program Management Best Practices
- Experience developing and managing strong relationships with partners (internal & external) and government customers and representatives
- Experience interfacing with senior and executive leadership
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeingis a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
Shift Work Statement:
This position is for 1st shift. The Space & Launch organization in Seal Beach and El Segundo sites is on a 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off.
Boeing is implementing new requirements for employees to be fully vaccinated from COVID-19 or have an approved reasonable accommodation based on local legislation in several countries including U.S.-based employees. Please refer here for current vaccination and/or reasonable accommodation requirements, and timelines based on location.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.