Business Unit Central Tech
This business unit builds, maintains and continuously improves our technological foundation, which touches every single aspect of our business. These teams work together to ensure we collect data responsibly, use it effectively, and stay on top of the latest trends and techniques. From ensuring robust user privacy practices to growing machine learning innovations to making sure every device that connects us is 100% cyber-secure. This business unit takes on a lot of responsibility. Central Tech at Booking.com is a critical enabler of the Booking.com overall mission towards the connected trip.
Profile Director Systems Architecture
Booking.com's main company strategy, the Connected Trip vision is being spearheaded through connected data, and we need a Director of Systems Architecture that matches our ambitions.
As Booking.com continues down our data modernization journey, the Director Systems Architecture has a specific data focus on the Enterprise Data Technologies (Data Lake, Data Warehouse, real time solutions, NoSQL expertise etc.) and ensures interoperability across all Business Units and Departments for departmental data solutions. The role and responsibility of the Director Systems Architecture are to utilize the team of principal engineers and other tech leaders to work and accomplish the following state:
- Be an integral member of the Architecture group and support the design and implementation of Booking.com’s cloud data platform, ensuring the strategy supports the current and future business needs.
- Apply their knowledge of good architecture practice, architecture documentation and data technologies to comprehensively capture the current state holistic data architecture and lead all aspects of target state design and implementation.
- Ensure that data platforms have rigorous business continuity practices (BCDR), crisis management/incident response as well as ensuring leading DR exercises including validations and changes.
The role will be based in the Washington D.C area or Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Responsibilities:This role will support the Central Tech team, based in Amsterdam in the following:
Software Systems Design
- Evaluate possible architecture solutions by taking into account cost, business requirements, technology requirements and emerging technologies.
- Describe the implications of changing an existing system or adding a new system to a specific area, by having a broad, high-level understanding of the infrastructure and architecture of our systems.
- Help grow the business and/or accelerate software development by applying engineering techniques (e.g. prototyping, spiking and vendor evaluation) and standards.
- Meet business needs by designing solutions that meet current requirements and are adaptable for future enhancements.
Technical Incident Management
- Address and resolve live production issues by mitigating the customer impact within SLA.
- Improve the overall reliability of systems by producing long term solutions through root cause analysis.
- Keep track of incidents by contributing to postmortem processes and logging live issues.
Building software applications
- Work with the team in Amsterdam in building software applications by using relevant development languages and applying knowledge of systems, services and tools appropriate for the business area.
- Refactor and simplify code by introducing design patterns when necessary.
- Ensure the quality of the application by following standard testing techniques and methods that adhere to the test strategy.
- Maintain data security, integrity and quality by effectively following company standards and best practices.
- Advise product teams towards a technical solution that meets the functional, nonfunctional & architectural requirements by challenging the rationale for an application design and providing context in the wider architectural landscape.
- Set a clear direction for a technical capability by evaluating and aligning the target architecture improvements, reframing architectural designs and decisions for complex stakeholders.
End to End System Ownership
- Manage a service end to end by actively monitoring application health and performance, setting and supervising relevant metrics and acting accordingly when violated.
- Reduce business continuity risks and bus factors by applying state-of-the-art practices and tools, and writing the appropriate documentation such as runbooks and OpDocs.
- Reduce risk and obtain customer feedback by using continuous delivery and experimentation frameworks.
- Independently own an application or service by working through deployment and operations in production
- Systematically identify patterns and underlying issues in complex situations, and to find solutions by applying logical and analytical thinking.
- Constructively evaluate and develop ideas, plans and solutions by reviewing them, objectively considering external knowledge, initiating 'SMART' improvements and articulating their rationale.
Continuous Quality and Process Improvement
- See opportunities for process, system and structural improvements (i.e performance gains) by examining and evaluating current process flows, methods and standards.
- Design and implement relevant improvements by defining adapted/new process flows, standards, and practices that enable business performance.
- Deliver clear, well-structured, and relevant information to a target audience by using suitable communication mediums and language tailored to the audience.
- Achieve mutually agreeable solutions by staying adaptable, presenting ideas in clear coherent language and practicing active listening.
- Ask relevant (follow-up) questions to properly engage with the speaker and really understand what they are saying, by applying listening and reflection techniques.
- You are a technical leader and strategist involved in key business initiatives that impact the entire enterprise coverage.
- You have worked in an environment where you played an architectural role and oversaw data, analytics, MLOps project and integration.
- You have experience with writing and reviewing code written in Java, Scala or Python.
- You have experience with scaling ingestion, storage and processing of data on a petabyte scale using technologies such as Spark, Kafka, Object stores, Data Warehousing.
- You have experience with SQL and NoSQL stores and how they can be leveraged in Big Data projects.
- You have experience with at least one public cloud provider (AWS/GCP/Azure).
- You own the technical architecture and lead high level projects to the hands on implementation of the most challenging parts whilst coaching Principals and other technical talent.
- You play an advisory role for the Tech Executive Leadership Team, and monitor the latest technology trends.
- You are co-accountable for the high-level decisions made in their area and are expected to have deep technical understanding of our technology stack, infrastructure and organization.
- You will be an integral member of the Architecture group and will be responsible for the design and implementation of the enterprise wide data strategy, ensuring the strategy supports the current and future business needs.
- You will apply knowledge of architecture practice, architecture documentation and data technologies to comprehensively capture the current state holistic data architecture and oversee target state design and implementation.
- You will collaborate with the Business, Data Management Office and internal and external IT stakeholders at all levels to ensure the enterprise data strategy and associated implementation is adding value to the business.
- You are an effective communicator.
- Highly results oriented. Proven ability to prioritize initiatives to align to business goals; able to successfully navigate within a fast-paced environment handling multiple priorities.
- Strategic thinking, vision, pragmatic execution with structure.
- Driving change and transformation, complex results at scale.
- Inclusive humble leadership style.
- Translate tech/innovation into business.
- Implementation into the broader organization. Getting things done.
The hiring company Booking.com Consulting Services (USA) is one of Booking.com BV’s support companies in The USA. Booking.com Consulting Services (USA) is looking for a Director, Systems Architecture. Booking.com BV is the company behind Booking.com™, the market leading online accommodation reservation service in the world. All references to “Booking.com" refer to Booking.com BV.
**If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.