As the General Manager of our St. Louis global forwarding office you’ll be managing a talented group of local and remote employees for a large office. You will provide oversight and have accountability for Talent Development, Commercial Growth, Product Development, Financial Management and Operational Quality within this office. As the general manager, you’ll coordinate, manage, and execute sales and operations to achieve strategic business and financial objectives and align to enterprise vision and goals. You will be responsible for strategic business planning to ensure that quality, growth, and efficiency goals are met.
Strategic Business Planning and Management:
- Set, articulate, and lead branch vision and direction.
- Take ownership of short to mid-term (1-3 years) strategy execution and operational direction ensuring alignment with overall organization objectives
- Collaborate with team to create and articulate strategic market plan annually and actively review, manage, and adjust short and long-term plans as necessary.
- Aligns strategic market plan to CHR’s strategic objectives
- Drive improved business decision making by utilizing analytics; identify analytic gaps and leverage organizational resources and both internal and external technology to help improve efficiency, productivity, and financial results.
- Design, implement, and review organizational structure to drive business objectives, efficiency, and growth, including role definition, resource and headcount alignment, and adjustment/re-alignment as necessary
- Build, manage, and leverage internal relationships to ensure collaboration, capacity alignment, consistency, quality, issue resolution, process and/or service improvements and to maximize efficiencies and results
- Responsible for annual workforce planning process, including forecasting resource needs, and partners with Talent Acquisition to establish a pipeline, recruit, select, and onboard qualified and diverse talent
- Accountable for the financial performance of large-size branch based upon adjusted gross profit and complexity of operations.
- Set overall volume and margin expectations for each product that is aligned to sales expectation, customer/carrier growth, and/or commercial growth
- Responsible for expense management, including personnel-related costs (including overtime), T&E, and general administrative expenses
- Review and monitor daily, monthly, quarterly reports and analytics to:
- Monitor performance metrics (i.e., quality, volume, employee productivity)
- Identify budget impacting metrics (i.e., volume, sales, productivity, etc.)
- Adjust business processes, strategy, and resources accordingly
- Monitor the invoicing process and lags in billing and/or payment and identify and implement process improvements to increase efficiency.
- Engage internal and external providers to conduct cost-benefit analysis, define service delivery standards and appropriate escalation channels, and ensure ongoing relationship oversight and routine process review
Business Growth and Development:
- Possesses a broad understanding of C.H. Robinson’s products, services, resources and technologies and leverages those appropriately to work with the Commercial teams to:
- Identify opportunities
- Drive sales growth with new and existing customers
- Establish new supply chains and business models
- Optimize client solutions
- Seek opportunities to strengthen and maintain existing relationships with strategic customers.
- Drive best practices in sales and account management by leveraging and reinforcing C.H. Robinson’s tools and strategies to facilitate more strategic selling and account relationships by focusing on customer motivations and their desired outcomes.
- Manage the performance and development of people leaders and their direct reports through both formal and informal performance management, coaching and feedback, mentoring and training and developmental tools
- Assess, calibrate, and manage talent, leveraging analytics and observation to align roles and resources appropriately, focuses on and advocates for individual and team development, career pathing and succession planning
- Manage the team’s reward and recognition strategies, including appropriate and consistent compensation administration, planning cyclical bonus and/or commission payments, year-end compensation planning, periodic compensation adjustments as necessary, and implementing other general employee recognition activities
- Review employee engagement measures and implement action plans to improve culture, engagement, and collaboration
- Must represent CHR as legal representative to agencies, organizations, banks, ministries and other local, national, or regional private and government organizations
- Partner with legal and local counsel to oversee contract management, negotiate, understand, and discuss contracts with customers/carriers (as required)
- Oversee and adhere to workplace conduct, risk management and compliance practices including regulatory compliance (SOX), responding to internal audit requests, and implementing process changes as necessary
- Create, update, and implement business continuity plans, including risk assessment, customer and employee impacts, issues, and solutions, and clearly communicates to appropriate parties
- Responsible for oversight of logistics and facilities management for the office or offices
- Visibly leads and supports change management including active involvement in communication, implementation, and reinforcement.
- Actively lead and/or participate in various industry, community, and campus activities to enhance the C.H. Robinson brand
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned according to the team and/or country specific requirements
- University/Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in the freight forwarding industry
- Minimum 4 years of people management experience
- Ability to travel up to 25%
- Experience managing financials for a business segment
- Ability to understand and communicate financial metrics, including P & L
- Demonstrated success generating revenue or business growth in a client-facing role with sales, account management, or carrier management experience
- Broad market and industry knowledge, and vertical expertise (if applicable)
- Experience managing cross-functional projects
- Proficiency presenting to both internal and external audiences
- Demonstrated negotiation, collaboration, and influencing skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite of programs
- Values a diverse and inclusive work environment
Questioning if you meet the mark? Studies have shown that women and people of color may be less likely to apply unless they match the job description exactly. Here at C.H. Robinson, we’re building a diverse and inclusive workplace where all employees feel they belong. If this position excites you, we welcome you to apply whether you check all the preferred qualifications or just a few. You may just be our next great fit!
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
C.H. Robinson is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We believe in equality for all and celebrate the diversity of our employees, customers and communities. We believe this increases creativity and innovation, drives business growth and enables engaged and thriving teams. We’re committed to providing an inclusive environment, free from harassment and discrimination, where all employees feel welcomed, valued and respected.
Affirmative Action Employer/EOE/M/F/Disabled/Veteran
Your Health, Wealth and Self
Your total wellbeing is the foundation of our business, and our benefits support your financial, family and personal goals. We provide the top-tier benefits that matter to you most, including:
Two medical plans (including a High Deductible Health Plan)
Prescription drug coverage
Enhanced Fertility benefits
Flexible Spending Accounts
Health Savings Account (including employer contribution)
Dental and Vision
Basic and Supplemental Life Insurance
Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Paid and floating holidays
Paid time off (PTO)
Paid parental leave
Paid time off to volunteer in your community
Charitable Giving Match Program
401(k) with 6% company matching
Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Plus a broad range of career development, networking, and team-building opportunities
Dig in to our full list of benefits on OUR CULTURE page.