Do you want to make an environmental impact in the world by helping address megatrends such as digitalization, energy transition, and electrification? Do you want to work for an organization that values team culture, inclusion/diversity, work/life balance, and career growth? If so, now is the time to join Eaton's digital transformation journey where you can innovate, take risks, and bring your full self to work.
Eaton's Electrical Sector division is currently seeking a Lead Embedded Software Engineer. This position can be located at either of the following Eaton locations: Raleigh NC, Pittsburgh PA (Moon Twp) or Greater Milwaukee WI area. This position offers a HYBRID work schedule.
The expected annual salary range for this role is $https://95247.0 - $https://139695.6 a year.
Please note the salary information shown above is a general guideline only. Salaries are based upon candidate skills, experience, and qualifications, as well as market and business considerations.
What you'll do:
Eaton's Digital Hardware Enablement (DHE) organization accelerates the development of digital products through the advancement of secure reusable platforms, processes, and services. What this means is that we lead the way to create software and technology stacks that are used across the company to accelerate product development within each of our divisions. In doing so we are on the forefront of using the latest technologies, tools, and methods. In DHE you will find awesome developers, open-source expert, testers, DevOps engineers, agile experts, front-end developers, and more. We are central to Eaton's digital transformation and every contribution we make has a significant impact on the future of the company.
In this role you will:
• Lead design and implementation of features of an embedded RTOS Internet of Things platform.
• Mentor junior team members on new technologies, and good coding practices.
• Document software components and interactions using flowcharts, diagrams, code comments, and code snippets.
• Demonstrate a fluency of and bias toward open-source software and have a firm understanding of best practices around integrating open-source software into commercial products.
• Provide accurate work estimates, develop, and execute agile work plans for repeated and incremental project delivery.
• Collaborate with product teams, stakeholders, engineering, and test to create high-quality products.
• Evaluate business requirements to find potential solutions.
• Author high-quality, highly-performant, unit-tested code in C/C++ or other appropriate high-level languages
• Investigate new technologies and contribute to technology road-mapping and capacity planning activities as well as analyze requirements and use-cases
• Leverage best-in-class software development tools to enable scalable global development
• Maintain skills through the studying of software development techniques and programming trends
Required Basic Qualifications:
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Electrical, Computer, Software Engineering or relevant degree from an accredited institution.
• Minimum of 7 years of experience working in embedded systems or embedded software development
• 5+ years' experience developing in an RTOS environment
• Hands on experience with Python
• No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of Raleigh NC, Pittsburgh PA (Moon Twp.), or the Greater Milwaukee WI area will be considered. Active-Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship now or in the future.
• Master's degree in Computer Science preferred
• 5+ years' experience using C++
• Solid understanding of cybersecurity and/or cryptography
• Development of platform software utilizing open-source RTOS (https://e.g. FreeRTOS, Zephyr RTOS)
• Strong knowledge of RTOS and associated development platforms
• Demonstrated competency using or designing systems communicating with industrial networking protocols (https://e.g. HTTP, TCP/IP, MQTT, Modbus, BACnet, CAN)
• Strong understanding of Object-Oriented Design (OOD) principles using C++
• Working knowledge of one other programming language (Go, Java, C#, C++, Python, etc.)
• Model designs using UML or similar methodologies as appropriate; develop use cases to model real-time systems behavior
• Ability to work effectively in an Agile Scrum (or other iterative development) environment
• Experience with test-driven development (TDD) and a good familiarity with unit test frameworks (https://e.g. GoogleTest, GoogleMock, xUnit++, etc.)
• Experience with multi-core embedded systems
• Experience using SDLC management tools in a team environment (https://e.g., Jira, Git, etc.)
• Solid understanding of software design principles, algorithms, data structures, and multithreading concepts
Ability to travel up to 10%
Effectively lead work and communicate within a global team environment.
Engage with other embedded software teams to promote reuse, share knowledge, and advance further the software development community within Eaton.
Strong problem solving and software debugging skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively explain technical concepts
Abreast of upcoming software development/engineering tools, trends, and methodologies
Good judgment, time management, and decision-making skills
Ability to apply automation to tasks that require them
Self-starter with the ability to operate effectively with minimal supervision
Experience with Agile development methodologies and concepts
Experience adopting or contributing to Open-Source Software projects
Experience leading technical resources
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Eaton considers qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with local laws. To request a disability-related reasonable accommodation to assist you in your job search, application or interview process, please call us at 1-800-836-6345 to discuss your specific need. Only accommodation requests will be accepted by this phone number.
We know that good benefit programs are important to employees and their families. Eaton provides various Health and Welfare benefits as well as Retirement benefits, and several programs that provide for paid and unpaid time away from work. Click here for more detail: Eaton Benefits Overview. Please note that specific programs and options available to an employee may depend on eligibility factors such as geographic location, date of hire, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements.