This position, which is based in Melville, Long Island, is responsible for providing patent advice and support to a leading global prestige beauty company, including patent prosecution, providing legal opinions on patent validity and/or infringement, designing and delivering client training, negotiating and drafting technology agreements.
- Evaluate patent infringement risks associated with new product launches and provide legal opinions on patent validity and infringement to business stakeholders.
- Independently prepare and prosecute US patent applications through all stages to either issuance or abandonment for inventions in chemical formulations and processes and mechanical inventions in simple packaging and components.
- Independently direct outside counsel on strategies supporting US and foreign patent prosecution.
- Develop and deliver training programs on IP principles and processes to inventors and stakeholders.
- Negotiate and draft contracts relating to technology development, licensing, and IP asset transactions.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemistry or similar; good practical working knowledge of chemistry
- Understanding of mechanical technology sufficient to prepare and prosecute patent applications on simple packaging and components
- Experience negotiating and drafting technology-related agreements (https://e.g. joint development, exclusivity, and MSAs, etc.)
- Registered Patent attorney
- Excellent legal and business judgment; a high degree of discretion; and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to form strong relationships with business leaders, including the R&D team
- Ability to execute in a complex matrixed environment
- Cosmetic and/or OTC industry experience preferred
- Global experience at AM Law 200 firm and/or multi-national Fortune 1000 company preferred The anticipated base salary range for this position is $113,500 to $195,000. Exact salary depends on several factors such as experience, skills, education, and budget. Salary range may vary based on geographic location. In addition to base salary, this position is eligible for participation in a highly competitive bonus program with possibility for overachievement based on performance and company results as well as participation in the share incentive plan. In addition, The Estée Lauder Companies offers a variety of benefits to eligible employees, including health insurance coverage, wellness and family support programs, life and disability insurance, retirement savings plans, paid leave programs, education-related programs, paid holidays and vacation time, and many others. Many of these benefits are subsidized or fully paid for by the company.